Overclock question

manny1222

Gawd
So I was cheap when I built my system and got a DDR3 1333. From what I've read 1600 seems to be the optimal frequently for my 2500K. I just realized I could overclock my 1333 to 1600 just by changing it in the BIOS/UEFI. I did and ran memtest for 4 hrs with no errors.
My question is will doing that permanently have any long term detrimental effects in anyway to the memory or the system?

Long as it doesn't get too hot and you didn't have to put more voltage in it I would say you are good. The Kingston HyperX you have has heat spreaders so I would say heat wouldn't be an issue either

Yes the HyperX has heat spreaders. When I change the settings in BIOS to 1600, it automatically changes the voltage to 1.65v which is the default voltage for store bought 1600 (stock voltage for mine is 1.5v). So I don't know if matters.
I monitor CPU temps with HWinfo. Will this also show memory temps? If so, what's normal temp for memory?

If it runs don't worry about it. Run it till it dies which it probably will not. You will be onto your next system and this RAM will still be running just fine.

All you've done is what the manufacturers do.

Test the ram to see if it runs at a higher clock, and if it does, slap a higher speed label on the heat spreaders and charge more for the same basic module.

If your system is stable, then you're good to go. I would do a little more stress testing than Memtest, however. It is a good preliminary indicator, but I would suggest you give HCI Memtest a go to establish stability.

Download:
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

It will give you a better indication of whether your memory is stable, or not. Google HCI Memtest and you'll see plenty of posts on how to best set it up.

Thanx for the replies guys. I'll run it that way till I run into problems. I tested with Memtest64 (Didn't realize there where so many different 'Memtests'). But I'll give this one a go too, as soon as my internet gets hooked back up. I'm in the middle of moving.

can any one tell , hoe to overclock an ram?
thanks

I don't know about other manufacturers and their respective BIOS, but I have a ASUS motherboard, and with the new UEFI, when you go into advanced mode you'll find the tab to adjust memory speed. It is usually set to auto, which means the motherboard detects the factory settings of the memory. The pulldown lets you choose if you want it set to 1033, 1333, 1600,.. an so on.

Back