• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overclock Question

infinite12

n00b
Joined
Mar 3, 2004
Messages
18
Hey All,

I just completed a real simple overclock of my FSB to 333 with a multiplier of 9x. I am running a Q6600 G0 on an ASUS P5Q PRO (Great board btw). I have 4 Gigs OCZ pc6400 memory. My problem lies in inconsistencies between monitoring software. My bios reads that my CPU is running at 3.01ghz. Windows XP System in control panel reads the same. However, CoreTemp and CPU-Z both only read a 6.0 multiplier. At one time coretemp saw the 9.0 multiplier, but hasnt since i did a few reboots. Anyone have any idea what is going on? Thanks a lot! :)
 
I believe is called speedstep.
What it does is when your not using your computer it runs slower mean less power and heat ETC..
but when you need that extra boost it will go back to 3ghz with the 9x.

Run prime 95 and it will show 9x

 
Nightcast is right.

I just started OC'ing my Q6600 by increasing the FSB to 333 too. I had Speedfan, Realtemp and CPU-Z to check on it. I was puzzled when I had it locked in BIOS to 9.0x and it kept going down to 6.0x, reducing the speed drastically.

Then I noticed it'd go to 9.0x when I opened programs, etc.
 
Just to add, Speedstep is a feature designed to reduce power usage while the CPU is idle, so no need to disable it for full-time usage (although you might want to while testing your overclocks to make sure they're fully stable at their maximum speeds).
 
Back
Top