Overclock or Upgrade?

AlexStenka

[H]ard|Gawd
I would like to upgrade to an Athlon 64 3700+ 754, or should I just get a new motherboard that supports AGP/PCI lock and try to overclock my 64 3000+ Newcastle?

The highest I got this chip to boot on was 2.3Ghz on the K8V-SE Deluxe then it crashed when I ran a game, I'm thinking this is becasuse the motherboard lacks the support for AGP/PCI lock.

I was wondering if you guys could point me to some good motherboard with AGP/PCI lock on them :)

My rig specs:
This is my current setup:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Newcastle (Cooled by Volcano 12)
ASUS K8V-SE Deluxe (Socket 754)
1GB of Kingston PC3200 HyperX memory
eVga 6800GT
36GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000RPM (SATA)
200GB Seagate (IDE)
SoundBlaster Audigy
Sony Floppy Drive
TDK DVD-RW 4X
500 Watt ULTRA PSU

I swapped out my K8N-E for the DFI board and I am currently running at 2.4 ghz on stock voltage. My cpu is CBAUC 04 20 just an fyi.

I am not sure how much difference there is in the 3400+ Newcastle compared to the 3700+ Claw...same clockspeed, but the claw has the 1 meg cache.

Have you tried setting AGP to 67 to get the locks to click in? I only started running into probs on the K8N because there were no locks on the SATA, where as the DFI has working locks.

A64 VIA mobo don't oc well like NF3 do. Go for either DFI or MSI mobo cuz both oc wells and i am sure that ur cpu can hit around 2.4 ghz or higher if possible. ;)

But then spending $100 to get another 100-200mhz isn't very practical. I'd just start saving for a big upgrade (big, since you have to get new cpu,mb,AND pcie vid card)

Back