• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overclock or undervolt i7-2600K ?

aamsel

Gawd
Joined
Jun 12, 2004
Messages
940
I have been toying with an i7-2600K and an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro for a few days.
Obviously, with an unlocked multiplier, you can fool around with these forever,
I don't have a need for a high overclock, am cooling with a Megahalems.
I prefer stability.

So far I have had solid results at 2 totally different overclocks, which both
pass all burn tests that I have thrown at it:

1.) 46 x 103 @ 1.375v = 4.74GHz turbo.

2.) 40 x 100 @ 1.150v = 4.00GHz turbo.

All the BIOS settings otherwise were virtually default, with a few integrated peripherals turned off.
Both the TPU and EPU switches were turned off on the ASUS, they both proved problematic.

CPUZ shows slightly lower voltages than those reported by the ASUS BIOS.

With #1 setup, adding any additional voltage did not yield a higher BClk or multiplier, so that would appear to be top-end for this setup.

With #2 setup, I was going for the lowest voltage that the setup would tolerate without failure.
Lowering the voltage below 1.150v failed, which is not surprising since that is a really low voltage,
about what I got with a Westmere Xeon E5620 recently.

What setup would you choose, and if the higher voltage, higher turbo #1, would that be only because it is a higher overclock?
I realize this is [Hard]|OCP and most people just want the fastest setup.

I am tempted to run the slower #2 setup since it is such a stunningly low voltage.
I realize that it is not much of an overclock at all, but 1.150v ???

Does anyone know what the default vCore is for the i7-2600K?
www.ark.intel.com
does not seem to list one.

Any opinions?
 
Last edited:
The stock voltage for the 2600K can be as low as 1.1V and up to 1.3V each CPU can have a different stock voltage or VID
 
I like #2...

Thanks.
I am leaning that way also.
My only reservation is not knowing all the issues that low voltage
could cause. When i was testing how low it could be dropped,
I went from 1.15 down to 1.1 and at that point Windows 7 could
not see the Intel NIC. Probably not surprising at such an "icy" low
voltage, but it seems rock solid at 1.15, and the temps are really
ideal.

If or when I get a bunch of ports and drives in use, I guess that
something over 1.15 might be needed to maintain stability?
 
Highly depends on what you're doing with your computer. For just general usage and gaming, I'll go with the lower overclock for lower power consumption and temps. If you're doing things like video encoding, then you want the higher overclock.
 
Back
Top