• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overclock my PC please! :)

edifyingkarma

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 8, 2008
Messages
1,464
Ok Guys and Gals,

Here is my situation.

I am a college student (aka financially challenged) but have the ability to manage the money I do make in order to passify my computer love ( no, no relation to Roger Troutman ;) ). Last march I was desperately wanting to build a computer as my POS just wasnt cutting it. I was a knight with a rusty butter knife and I needed a friggin sword if I was to slay the dragon (metaphorically speaking). However, there was not enough income to pay cash for the parts without waiting several months to have the system completed. Then one day, I decided to check dell's site out as I heard the XPS 630i was actually decently priced. So I did, and found out that they were offering 12months same as cash on their XPS systems. Here was my ticket, and I made the move. However I have not even attempted overclocking it yet (passive cooling), and Ive decided to ask you all for help.

Specs are below
Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz
4gb ram 800mhz 6-6-6-18 timings, (think its samsung)
2x8800GT's at stock (in SLI o course)
650i mobo
750w PSU

Now, I know the 650i isnt the best board for the job, but Im financially limited at this point in time. RAM is not the greatest as well, and I can upgrade that if I have to.

I run CPU-z and it is a Kentsfield G0 Revision and the memory is running at 2:3 at 400mhz 6-6-6-18. I would like to overclock it to a modest 3.0ghz just to increase performance a bit. The cpu cooling is a POS though as it is passive and under full load (prime95) it runs approx 57C! (Realtemp).

So I am turning to you all for guidance. I would like to replace the cooler with another one but am unsure if it will void my warranty (probably) and unsure if it is even safe. I can also upgrade my RAM if suggested.

So advise away you all
 
Jack up the FSB to 333MHz and set your FSB:RAM ratio to 5:6. You might need to jack up the voltage a bit to keep it stable, but that's basically it.
 
Im worried about heat though, should i be concerned since its runs a 57c under full load at 266. Dont want to blow the thing up :)
 
Before OCing anything, first make sure you've got some upgraded cooling. You won't see a major increase in temps until you start upping voltage, so see how high you can go with just raising the FSB. Keep something like RealTemp open to monitor temps, and run Prime95 or Orthos to load the CPU. If the temps start to get out of hand (IE, 75+), then back it down to factory specs and wait until you can get a decent cooler.
 
It is without a doubt "safe" to upgrade your cooling, unless your a 100% goof. Some pretty good coolers are going for cheap these days and would be much better than any stock cooler your going to have.

The only question needed is what kind of budget are you setting for the HSF? After that more people can give you some ideas on what kind of coolers to pick up, maybe search around the FS section for a good deal on a HSF as well, it's where I picked up my TRUE.
 
good news and bad news

good news is that most if not all XPS systems can overclock.
---
bad news is that there are reviews/reports that 650i boards are the worst to overclock
according to some other forum... you wont even pass 2.8ghz

BUT! don't fret, not everyone's hardware plays out the same. have hope

good luck!
 
thanks for the info thus far, recommended cooler? nothing over $100 bux, im going air cooled and def dont want something that is huge (too tight of a squeeze).
 
I usually recommend people who ask these questions to educate themselves a little bit before posting and asking.

http://frostytech.com/ is a good place to start, along with the hundreds or thousands of threads/posts that ask the exact same question of "what cooler to get".
 
I was thinking of getting the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 before I even posted this thread but I wanted to get the forum users feedback on some decent cooling solutions. I can read review sites all day but getting personal feedback from people in this forum can help me guide my decision more appropriately. So recommend away :)
 
I was thinking of getting the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 before I even posted this thread but I wanted to get the forum users feedback on some decent cooling solutions. I can read review sites all day but getting personal feedback from people in this forum can help me guide my decision more appropriately. So recommend away :)

In that case, I'll recommend the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 ;). Can't be beat for the price.
 
OR

rip the shitty fan of the intel stock go find a high RPM/CFM 92mm or 80mm and screw it into the sink so its blowing air down into the sink, you'll prolly only get one screw in but it WILL hold

This should drop temps by a possible 10c depending how powerful that fan is, it worked for me
 
Dell uses their own heatsinks.

adddddd
Sweet, [h]gawd..:D
For that I'll go dig for a pic
Source: http://members.arstechnica.com/x/drkangel09/CPU_Heatsink1.jpg
cpuheatsink1bw1.jpg
 
Tad bit confused as to what you are saying. Can I not use another HSF?

You should be able to. I think what he was saying was the advice that was given to switch the fan on the cooler was based on the system having a stock Intel cooler, which it in fact does not.
 
You should be able to. I think what he was saying was regarding the advice that was given to switch the fan on the cooler was based on the system having a stock Intel cooler, which it in fact does not.

Ahh, I just woke up and I havent had my morning fix yet, thanks for clarifying, Im going ahead and getting the Xima, hopefully it isnt too big. Also going to pick up some artic silver for the application. I have actually read quite a few people OCin their 630i's quite easily to decent ranges (3.2). If anyone has advice on memory settings (tightening the latencies, changing ratios, unlinking) let me know. :)
 
Im going ahead and getting the Xima, hopefully it isnt too big.

STOP!!:mad::mad::mad:

Take a ruler/measuring tape and see how much space you havebetween the mobo and the panel. You are looking for at least 158mm of leeway, any less and look for the 90mm version SD964.
 
Ahh, I just woke up and I havent had my morning fix yet, thanks for clarifying, Im going ahead and getting the Xima, hopefully it isnt too big. Also going to pick up some artic silver for the application. I have actually read quite a few people OCin their 630i's quite easily to decent ranges (3.2). If anyone has advice on memory settings (tightening the latencies, changing ratios, unlinking) let me know. :)

Keep the memory linked and at a 1:1 ratio, to start. Once you hit 3.2, that will leave your RAM running at DDR2-712. Your RAM will be underclocked, but that's ok, that will mostly eliminate the RAM as a suspect for any instabilities in your OC. Keep the RAM timings loose, too... 5-5-5-15. Once you get your CPU OC'd to where you want, then you can tighten the timings/increase the Mhz if you want.
 
STOP!!:mad::mad::mad:

Take a ruler/measuring tape and see how much space you havebetween the mobo and the panel. You are looking for at least 158mm of leeway, any less and look for the 90mm version SD964.

I was just going to warn him too, lol. It's actually listed as 159mm. In any case, it's a beast so you should definitely measure and see how much room you have. I was extremely lucky with mine, it barely made clearance.
 
Well there is 18cm space from the bottom of the current heatsink to the case panel. With there should be enough room width and length wise. 180mm may be a close fit, what do you all think? If not, ill just leave the panel off (its enclosed inside of my desk and I dont have any animals or people to mess with it. Or may just give the SD964 a shot as it would def fit and im hearing good things about it. and they have a sweet deal @ newegg for 16 bux AR. Should I go for this or just leave the panel off for extra airflow
 
Well there is 18cm space from the bottom of the current heatsink to the case panel. With there should be enough room width and length wise. 180mm may be a close fit, what do you all think? If not, ill just leave the panel off (its enclosed inside of my desk and I dont have any animals or people to mess with it. Or may just give the SD964 a shot as it would def fit and im hearing good things about it. and they have a sweet deal @ newegg for 16 bux AR. Should I go for this or just leave the panel off for extra airflow

180mm should be enough. That's probably about how much room I have in my Antec 900. There's enough room for my Xigmatek S1283 to fit with the side door closed, but not enough room to put a fan in the side door fan socket.

Also, if you have everything done right, including cable management and airflow, taking the side door off shouldn't improve your temps.
 
180mm should be enough. That's probably about how much room I have in my Antec 900. There's enough room for my Xigmatek S1283 to fit with the side door closed, but not enough room to put a fan in the side door fan socket.

Also, if you have everything done right, including cable management and airflow, taking the side door off shouldn't improve your temps.

Hehe the airflow improvement thing was a joke :). But i decided on the smaller one just to be possitive. Last thing id want to do is get it here and have to send all the shit back, have credit issued and time wasted. I read some good things about the 92mm version (dont intend to overclock heavily) and they had a $10 MIR on it. I will put it on when it gets here (probably monday, UPS 3 Day). Attempt to overclock and then post some updates
 
Back
Top