• Great friend of mine with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    https://athleteoftheyear.org/2026/keenan-a856

Overclock keeps resetting at boot?!

Trackr

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 10, 2011
Messages
1,786
Okay, this is the problem:

I overclock the CPU to 4.0Ghz (an old E5300).

Anywhere between 1.4-1.6v it boots Windows and runs ORTHOS for an hour, no problem.

When I RESTART, again no problem.

When I SHUT DOWN, or when I take the power cable out of the socket and put it back in..

It take 3x as long to POST, and then I get this message, "Safe Mode activated, press F1 to continue or DEL to enter BIOS."

All I do is hit DEL then F10, save BIOS and the system reboots and runs at 4.0Ghz rock-hard stable.

When I shut down again.. SAME THING!

Am I missing something here?
 
It sounds like your power supply can't feed it enough instantly from a cold boot.
 
does the motherboard have dual bios? maybe flash both to same version
1.4 to 1.6 seems like a lot of volts, if you did 3.8Ghz at like 1.35v i bet you couldn't tell the difference.
 
It sounds like your power supply can't feed it enough instantly from a cold boot.

No. Tested it with my Silverstone 1000w, same issue.

does the motherboard have dual bios? maybe flash both to same version
1.4 to 1.6 seems like a lot of volts, if you did 3.8Ghz at like 1.35v i bet you couldn't tell the difference.

I guess you're right.

The motherboard goes up to 3.91Ghz (301x13). At 301x13, it doesn't cold boot.

I guess I can live with 90Mhz less.

Warm boots up to 4.33Ghz.. that's the weird part. But there are plenty of cases of Gigabyte boards doing the same, so I don't think it's a BIOS issue.
 
Back
Top