!!!!!Overclock Gone Wrong - Vista Startup Issue/Keyboard Won't work

brownkc

Gawd
Just tried an overclock of my Q6600 G0. Temps were getting a little high and I hadn't installed the new heatsink so I shut down went back to stock settings and when Vista restarted it has a corrupt file. I made my DVD player the default boot device but my keyboard stops working after I get past the BIOS startup. I can't "hit any key to boot from CD/DVD". I tried slapping a PS2 dongle on the keyboard and that didn't work. Any help/suggestions would truly be appreciated.

I believe the corrupt file is ataport.

Thanks for the quick reply. It's back up. Don't ask how.

The BIOS would start and I could work within it but once Windows took over it went to the Safe Mode screen. But once Windows started my keyboard quit working. So I couldn't change options and it would try to start normally. From there it found a corrupt file and asked me to restart with OS disc in the drive. When I did this, I still had to hit any key to start from the DVD drive to start the repair but my keyboard wouldn't work at that point. I tried switching to PS2(?) but it still didn't recognize it.

I'm not sure what happened in the end but the only setting I hadn't put back to normal in the BIOS was the SPD timings. So I reset those and restarted and it went back to the safe mode screen. I came in here to research some more and heard the Windows startup sound. Now it's up and running normally. I have no idea why it started this time.

I still plan to overclock after I install the heatsink so if anyone knows why I had this problem with my keyboard your response may still be needed in the future.

Ive seen this issue also, not sure what causes it though. It hasnt been a big issue, but it could be in the future.

Back