Overclock e8400 up to 400 FSB with 800Mhz DDR2 is safe?

my configuration is:
Asus P5Q, 2x2GB Team Elite DDR2 800, e8400 step E0, Noctua NH U12S

i want overclock e8400 to 4ghz for daily use.. but the memory go up to frequency over the default one
is safe for ram or there is the risk to damage it?

If the RAM is going higher than 800 when running a 400fsb, then you need to lower the memory multiplier.

when running over 400fsb!

Gotcha. The title suggests that it is over 800 when running at 400fsb.

You won't damage the RAM by overclocking it unless yo either up the voltage too much or let it run way too hot.

In any case, it will start to show instability if you go too high.

You will be running the fsb at 445 and the RAM at 890.

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/intel_core_2_duo_e8400_overclocking_guide,3.html

I always had 1066 RAM on my lga775 system so I am not sure how hard it will be to get your RAM to run at 890. According to that link, they say that most will run at that just fine.

Gotcha. The title suggests that it is over 800 when running at 400fsb.

You won't damage the RAM by overclocking it unless yo either up the voltage too much or let it run way too hot.

In any case, it will start to show instability if you go too high.

You will be running the fsb at 445 and the RAM at 890.

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/intel_core_2_duo_e8400_overclocking_guide,3.html

I always had 1066 RAM on my lga775 system so I am not sure how hard it will be to get your RAM to run at 890. According to that link, they say that most will run at that just fine.
i must change ram voltage?

i must change ram voltage?

You might have to if your RAM can't handle the speed at stock voltage.

Any reason in particular as to why you're holding onto a dual core lga 775 system? You would make very cost effective performance gains by dropping a 771 Quadcore Xeon into the system or even something like a Q9550 granted you can find it for the right price and add a decent OC.

You might have to if your RAM can't handle the speed at stock voltage.

Any reason in particular as to why you're holding onto a dual core lga 775 system? You would make very cost effective performance gains by dropping a 771 Quadcore Xeon into the system or even something like a Q9550 granted you can find it for the right price and add a decent OC.

do you think that at 445-450 of fsb i must change the voltage of ram? if yes, what parameter change and what voltage choose?

do you think that at 445-450 of fsb i must change the voltage of ram? if yes, what parameter change and what voltage choose?

You won't know until you try. Look at that link I posted in the reply. You might also have to change the RAM timings.

is not possible lock the ram to 800 mhz?

Depending on the board, you can keep it close to 800 MHz, but not lock it to 800 MHz. If you don't want to OC your ram, you can usually get a multiplier that keeps your RAM under 800 MHz, just remember it will start affecting memory performance negatively.

I overclocked a Wolfdale Pentium DC E6300 from 2800 to 3202 MHz with a 1219 MHz FSB (304 x 4) and managed to keep the RAM at like 794 MHz. I probably could have pushed it to 3.5 or 3.8, but it was on the stock heatsink and already getting a wee bit too toasty for my liking.

Depending on the board, you can keep it close to 800 MHz, but not lock it to 800 MHz. If you don't want to OC your ram, you can usually get a multiplier that keeps your RAM under 800 MHz, just remember it will start affecting memory performance negatively.

I overclocked a Wolfdale Pentium DC E6300 from 2800 to 3202 MHz with a 1219 MHz FSB (304 x 4) and managed to keep the RAM at like 794 MHz. I probably could have pushed it to 3.5 or 3.8, but it was on the stock heatsink and already getting a wee bit too toasty for my liking.

how do this with the ram?

Check to see if your motherboard has selectable memory ratios (multipliers). Some motherboards have this, while some use a fixed ratio off the FSB. If your motherboard is the former, start bumping up the FSB and then change the memory ratio when you see the memory clock go higher than you're comfortable with.

If your motherboard is the latter with a fixed memory ratio, there's not much you can do other than try landing on a FSB speed that keeps the memory somewhat in-spec.

Back