I'm currently in the process of building myself a dedicated ESXi box. Basically I just need to wait and see how things go financially (school sucks
), and then buy the motherboard and memory; good to go otherwise. I'm also waiting on Chilly for the Intel drivers, so things kind of work out 
Anyways, I've been kind of planning out what I'd like to run on this machine, and what kind of resources they require. Basically I'll be running a plain white-box with an i5-2500 (supports VT-d, so does the Q67 board I'm getting) and 16GB of RAM, and then some add-in cards.
Basically there's 3 VM's that I "need":
- File Server (OpenIndiana)
- Media Server (Some Linux distro)
- Web Server (Debian)
Between those three, I've allocated 6.5GB of RAM. With all the other VM's I'd like to run, I get up to about 18.5GB of RAM. I feel like this shouldn't be an issue with 16GB, but I'm just confirming.
The one thing I'm really unsure about is how I go about allocating cores. Ideally I'd like for most of the VM's (except a few) to have 2 cores, but doing this puts me up to 13 cores, which is obviously way over 4
Is this possible to do, or...?
I'll also be passing through a few PCI-e devices, but that's not really a huge issue.
Thanks,
- Jesse
Anyways, I've been kind of planning out what I'd like to run on this machine, and what kind of resources they require. Basically I'll be running a plain white-box with an i5-2500 (supports VT-d, so does the Q67 board I'm getting) and 16GB of RAM, and then some add-in cards.
Basically there's 3 VM's that I "need":
- File Server (OpenIndiana)
- Media Server (Some Linux distro)
- Web Server (Debian)
Between those three, I've allocated 6.5GB of RAM. With all the other VM's I'd like to run, I get up to about 18.5GB of RAM. I feel like this shouldn't be an issue with 16GB, but I'm just confirming.
The one thing I'm really unsure about is how I go about allocating cores. Ideally I'd like for most of the VM's (except a few) to have 2 cores, but doing this puts me up to 13 cores, which is obviously way over 4
I'll also be passing through a few PCI-e devices, but that's not really a huge issue.
Thanks,
- Jesse