OUYA First Impressions

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at ThinkComputers have just published their thoughts on the OUYA game console. Overall the reviewer seemed to like the little thing, here's a quote from the review:

Powering the Ouya is a NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor, 1GB of RAM, and 8GB of internal storage (which is expandable via USB). It offers HDMI output and both 2.4 GHz WiFi, Bluetooth, and Ethernet for connectivity. Its USB port is 2.0, and a keyboard is a great fit for it. There is also a micro USB port for connecting the device to a computer for debugging games, accessing storage, and more.

I kind of want one, but will wait for version 1.1.

i hope ouya becomes better because even though it is out now. it is really just like a developers toy and not a real gaming unit.

i bought it for xbmc support but still isnt there yet i think

I still say give it another 6 months to smooth out and then re-judge. I've always seen it for what it should/could be, which is why I overlook the minor issues (and the major early controller is a pile of junk issue).

The appeal right now for the OUYA is emulators and XBMC. Hoping quality games make it to the Android platform and support using a gamepad rather then a touch screen. It's an excellent low cost low power device that will probably have lots of use.

The problem is that Android developers focus primarily on cell phones and tablets, which make horrible gaming devices. Have to convince them that making games for devices like this is worth the effort.

ZGL1AmV0.gif

i successfully connected to both wifi and wired. so maybe it was just his router having issues

A short while back, the Ouya had trouble connecting to WPA2-secured networks.
As the article points out, this has since been fixed.
Actually, the devs have been REMARKABLY responsive, all things considered.

Yes, the console isn't PERFECT when shipped. But the devs realize this and are busting their butts to fix things and implement things that may not have occurred to them earlier on in the development process (like pin security for purchases).

The Ouya, as it stands right now is "meh to okay". Give it another six months and it should be quite decent. A year? Great.

Unless you're one of those idiots expecting it to be a dual octocore machine with triple-SLI Titans, 64GB of RAM and a 4TB SSD RAID-0 with the entire thing overclocked to hell and LN2 cooled 24x7.

Unless you're one of those idiots expecting it to be a dual octocore machine with triple-SLI Titans, 64GB of RAM and a 4TB SSD RAID-0 with the entire thing overclocked to hell and LN2 cooled 24x7.

And all for $99.99! Ho ho hilarious.

Unfortunately, when you read all those articles guessing on what hardware would be in the PS4/One you realise there are a lot of such people.:eek:

And all for $99.99! Ho ho hilarious.

Unfortunately, when you read all those articles guessing on what hardware would be in the PS4/One you realise there are a lot of such people.:eek:

Well, as per the quote commonly attributed to P.T. Barnum:
There's a sucker born every 6.0x10^13 picoseconds...

Needs to come with a keyboard.

Does anyone know if it works with OliveOffice or Kingsoft Office from CreepyUncleGoogle's Spywarez Store? It might be a nice word processor which would be cheaper than trying to get a PS4 or XBO to do the same thing.

A BT keyboard isn't very expensive. A USB keyboard would probably work too as a cheaper option. There seem to be some complaints about how apps offer (incomplete) keyboard support, where only the virtual keyboard works correctly.

A BT keyboard isn't very expensive. A USB keyboard would probably work too as a cheaper option. There seem to be some complaints about how apps offer (incomplete) keyboard support, where only the virtual keyboard works correctly.

Thanks! I might have to try one when they're not sold out everywhere. I bet the keyboard support will get fixed over time.

I think it might depend on the individual developers, but something funky seems to be going on in the base OS services.

I use a BT keyboard with iOS and support can sometimes be wonky there too. It may not be something developers think much about. (holding back rant about code2go in particular.)

Still holding final judgement on it. My leaning now remains as it was during the kickstarter (Extremely skeptical of it being able to compete).

Gaming - Controller is utterly terrible and full of bugs still and they are mobile games.

Media Center - XMBC still just has a boatload of issues.

Tinker Box - Rasberry pi is cheaper.

I still continue to watch it, but I am doubtful of it being actually successful.

Back