Outside...

chaloux

n00b
As the title says, I put my PC outside.

Let me elaborate a bit. I live on the 11th floor of an apartment in Toronto. My PC is usually against a wall of windows, and where I have it along that wall there just happens to be a low window. I opened the window for my cats to go in and out, and thought to myself, "hey, I wonder what my temps are with the window open". It's a balmy 4 degrees celcius right now. My case was closed and of course they didn't change much. So I opened my case, and not that much of a dif, so I put it in front of the window. My idle temps of my e4400 dropped to 24-27, nice! Then I start looking at the window and sizing up how big it is... sure enough, it's big enough to leave my PC on and just put it out the window.

All the while I am thinking this is hilarious and as if I care enough to even try it - my PC is running perfectly stable with the settings in my sig at good temps.

Running Prime and Orthos I've seen 47 degrees, and using the artifact tester on ATItool I've seen 55 degrees with 55% fan. Idle is between 17-19 for the CPU and around 39 for the 8800GT. I can't wait till it goes down to -10C.

At this point I don't know if I want to overclock it any more. I'm fine with it running cooler at the settings I have it at; less heat is never a bad thing. I guess when I finish my essay I'll have a go... :p

What is this "Outside" you speak of?

:D

But on a serious note... What the hell! I ALSO live on the 11th floor of an apartment in Toronto, and I was testing temperatures with my server out on the balcony this morning.

That's really creepy... :eek: Where are you located?

I hung my old case out the window with some chains and two "LAN backpacks" :D

A couple of issues spring to mind.

First is the variation in temperatures throughout the day will be way bigger than leaving the PC in your living room. Its also unpredictable.
Your new overclock will be stable on cold nights and unstable in the day or on warmer nights.

If there is a high wind and rain, your PC might not survive.

Why not use umbilical hose like that used for a tumble drier and feed cooler air from outside into your PC. That gives you a halfway setup that might be realisable.
I am using some to feed cooler air to my graphics card from outside the case :)

Falls... riiiiiight. I should have said that I have a balcony. There is no way in HELL that I'd hang my PC from a window. Jeez!

I am in North York, I go to YorkU. I also thought about the rain/wind/snow deal. I have a cardboard box around it (not much I know), and the Antec case I have has at least 1cm rubber stoppers on the bottom. I am not sure whether I want to actually leave it on the balcony or not, but it's sort of fun to do once. It would mostly be an overclock just to see what my stuff could do if it was not heat limited.

Back