Output to DLP via HDMI

cefoskey

Limp Gawd
I just recently got a new TV (samsung 42" DLP) to use with my old HTPC, so I am running DVI to HDMI. However, I noticed the desktop is not properly stretching to fill the screen when I use varying resolutions (most of them are oversized). I am shooting for 1280x720, as this should be native for my TV, but my desktop is displayed too large for the screen (start menu is off screen). Since I am using a Radeon 9250, catalyst software doesnt seem to allow screen size software adjustment.

Any ideas as to how I can get the screen to be properly resized?

Nvidia drivers have an option to disable screen overscan for when you're outputting to a TV set. I'd assume ATI's have something along the same lines.

I'm assuming you can't get your native resolution whatever you do. Try using a VGA cable if you can. For some reason computers have issues with displaying certain native resolutions via DVI-to-HDMI. I fixed my problem by using a VGA cable, works like a dream.

There is a way to create a custom resolution with the Catalyst drivers to fix some of the underscan/overscan. I believe it is somewhere in the HD resolutions properties. If you can't find it I'll check when I get home.

with my sony a10, using a dvi-hdmi cable wouldnt work, as the tv would only accept a certain resolution (whatever 720p is) from the HDMI port
my solution to get 1:1 pixel mapping was using a VGA cable, and a custom resolution in Powerstrip.

i got my vga cable from monoprice

well that sucks, I specifically went out and got the DVI cable to see if there was any improvement over VGA, and I guess it just isnt going to work like VGA.

Ill check the catalyst drivers, guess I have to install the control center *cough* bloatware *cough* to see if I can get the overscan fixed.

Back