colinstu

2[H]4U
"22:20:00 Synchronizer Version 12.0.4518
22:20:00 Synchronizing Mailbox
22:20:00 Synchronizing Hierarchy
22:20:01 Done
22:20:14 Microsoft Exchange offline address book
22:20:14 0X80190194"

Server 2003 (Enterprise R2, SP2) and Exchange 2007 Enterprise. Clients are XP Pro SP3 and Office 2007. This is all done on VMWare Workstation 6, XP logging in works fine and is actually quite snappy.

Sending email goes just fine over exchange. When sending/receiving though, there are two tasks, the second task @ 50% (Says it's "Offline address book Connecting to Microsoft Exchange" at the time), and it gives up.

Reading online, there seem to be a few different errors that all deal with the OAB. But mine is the 0X80190194 kind.

In server in the mmc, MS Exchange snapin>Organization>Mailbox>Offline Address Book tab>I do have an OAB entry there. Also, IIS Snapin>Websites>Default Web Site>OAB is there too, but there is nothing in there.

My guess is that some directory has the wrong permission or there is no oab file in the directory. I have heard of "rebuilding" the oab, or something, but I haven't found anything that can do that.

One trick that some people suggest is to "net stop MSExchangeFDS" and start it again. Check the logs for an okay 1008 event id, which has gone fine.

This has been driving me crazy, and I can't find any resolution, so I'm finally asking here. I asked a friend who's had quite a bit of experience with server 03 and exchange 03, but from just hearing about it he has no idea why it shouldn't be working.

Or is there just a way to completely disable the OAB stuff? What does it exactly do? For it's namesake, you can't send email offline (yet it can sit in the outbox), so why bother looking at an address book offline?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm trying to remember exactly how i fixed this.

First in the exchange console go to Server Config > Client Access.

Choose OAB and make sure your urls look similar to
https://mail.domain.com/OAB/9fd66e34-8b0b-4b8e-ad5e-09afewdcb938/
(Or HTTP is your not using ssl)

Now go into IIS manager, Websites > Default Web site > OAB and ensure the folder above is there and a file called oab.xml exists. (example: OAB/9fd66e34-8b0b-4b8e-ad5e-09afewdcb938/oab.xml)

If it is not then your OAB was not created and you need to using this Link

If it is there then go back to exchange console and Organization config > Mailbox > Offline address book

Right click the address book and choose update. (this may take awhile depending on the size of your organization)

If that doesn't fix it, use the above link to remove and recreate the OAB

Good luck

Back