Outlook Express 6 problem...

Lyquist

2[H]4U
I have a client who has lost about a month worth of e-mails in Outlook Express 6. Where are the messages stored in Outlook Express 6? I am not sure how to approach this job as I haven't seen outlook express in a long time. Thanks in advance for your help.

Just so you know, the operating system is Windows XP.

if you go to options menu in outlook express and then go to maintenance and see where the store folder is located.

if you are using outlook express,that means you are using pop email. You can also try to access those lost emails by logging directly using the webmail version of that account. Lets say is hotmail or gmail, you would log in to access the email through the website. Sometimes if it's a corporationg it would be mail.xxxx.com/webmail.

That link I had showed how to recover lost message stores -- did it not work for you?

Next, you can do a search for Inbox.dbx or look in the same general folder area as the new one for the old one. Just make sure the two folder locations are not the same.

Now, you can do an import of the mail messages.

File | Import | Messages

Select Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0 or 5.5 or 6.0 depending upon which version you have and if you have upgraded to OE 6.0 from OE 5.x, just select the Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0. All versions of the message stores are the same. Press NEXT after you have made the selection.

On the next dialog box, select "Import message from an OE 5.x (5.5 or 6.0 store directory. Press the NEXT button and you will see a new dialog box open with the Browse button. Here you can either copy and paste the old message store folder or press Browse and navigate to the old message store folder. Once there, click on it to highlight it, the OK button will appear and then press it.

Now you can press the NEXT button and you will see a list of Mail folders that exists for that old Identity. CTRL Click on the ones you want or Select All (default option) to import all the folders.

Press NEXT and the import begins. Finish out the Import Wizard and you should be back in business.

There are a few things that can happen to make the messages disappear -- the message store can go missing, or the files can get "lost' inside the database. That article shows how to recover from both scenarios.

Back