Outlook 2007 - Slow Response Problems

mokkapoop

[H]ard|Gawd
OK. Here at work, we just received our enterprise agreement for Windows XP and Office 2007 (yea, a little late on XP, but hey we got it). All three of us in our department installed it and I seem to be the only one who is having problems with it.

Of the 3 PC's being used, 2 of them have the same exact configuration:

Dell GX620
P4 3.4GHZ HT
4GB (3.5gb registered due to Windows XP Pro 32bit)
80GB HD
Radeon X600 with dual 19" LCD DVI - Dell
Windows XP Professional SP2 with ALL updates

Now, my computer is one of these. My other colleague has the same config and his is working fine. Here is my problem:

When I open Outlook 2007, I get HORRIDLY slow response. Sometimes it puts Outlook into the "Not Responding" mode but will come out of it after a few minutes. This happens after the following:

* Switching from folder to folder
* Switching from email to email in the same folder
* When a new email comes in

Now, I know that switching from folder to folder can cause delays due to folders being large, but I keep my whole mailbox clean, no more than a few hundered emails in each folder.

I turned of the reading pane because I thought that this was causing the problem, but it is not. Can anyone help me out here and restore my performance as the same as it was in 2003. Thanks again!

Is 800mb a large PST? I just did a backup and thats the size. I installed the update....but it doesnt seem to help either. The patch claims its for Calendars........

Cached mode will also greatly enhance the response time when dealing with larger files as well. I set everyone up at work using Cached Mode, even those with towers.

Yes, cached is the best way to go. It is how I set up all our associates(I am an IS Tech for a software company with 400+ employees, some with .psts well over a couple of gigs).

2007 does have performance issues, I am sure updates will be following shortly to address them. Remember, it has not been out that long yet. We have only deployed 2007 to the IS staff for testing. It will not be released until we feel it is ready.

2007 does have performance issues,
Do you have a link on this? I'm using 2007 at home for POP3 accounts, and at work for my Exchange account, and I don't notice any performance issues at all, with any of the applications.

Do you have a link on this? I'm using 2007 at home for POP3 accounts, and at work for my Exchange account, and I don't notice any performance issues at all, with any of the applications.

Seriously, a link for issues we have seen at my company? You really are asking my to provide a link for this?

Many of the issues stem from large .pst files. Where mine is small(newer at the company) I experience little to no slow down in outlook, my mamanger has been here for 7 years and has large .pst files. His outlook constantly is hanging.

Many times when I go to open a picture, 1 or 2 minutes goes by until Picture Manager finally opens.

A link for personally seen issues. Classic.

You stated it so matter-of-factly, like everyone should know it has performance issues. You made a claim, and I asked for proof.

My exchange mailbox is well over 2 GB in total size, and I'm drawing in a local PST file that's 800 MB in size as well. I notice absolutely no perf issues. A good friend of mine has rolled it out to his 100 person company, and in their experiences, it's faster and more responsive than Office 2003.

Now, honestly, if you think me asking for proof or a link is odd, you haven't been here very long. I do sincerely apologize, though, for not using my ESP to know you were strictly referring to personal experience, despite the fact it wasn't mentioned, or even inferred.

Now, to give you something worthwhile, why not try something other than the craptacular Picture Manager? Whether this is XP or Vista (don't know, sorry, ESP still not working), the built in image viewers may and should work better.

You stated it so matter-of-factly, like everyone should know it has performance issues. You made a claim, and I asked for proof.

My exchange mailbox is well over 2 GB in total size, and I'm drawing in a local PST file that's 800 MB in size as well. I notice absolutely no perf issues. A good friend of mine has rolled it out to his 100 person company, and in their experiences, it's faster and more responsive than Office 2003.

Now, honestly, if you think me asking for proof or a link is odd, you haven't been here very long. I do sincerely apologize, though, for not using my ESP to know you were strictly referring to personal experience, despite the fact it wasn't mentioned, or even inferred.

Now, to give you something worthwhile, why not try something other than the craptacular Picture Manager? Whether this is XP or Vista (don't know, sorry, ESP still not working), the built in image viewers may and should work better.

I figured talking about my job, how we in the IS dept are testing it, etc, would maybe ring a little bell that this is personal experiences. I guess commen sense is lacking, along with ESP?

Oh, and the vast majority of the IS industry has put a complete shut down on pushing out Vista.

First, just because you were using it in your IS Dept, doesn't mean links wouldn't be available. I was wondering if you had been referencin an article or Technet bulletin, etc. THAT'S commOn sense as well.

Secondly, we weren't discussing Vista. But, since you bring it up, I wouldn't go into a blanket statement by saying the vast majority are shutting it down. Quite a few companies have been, and if you take a gander around at some of the articles and newsclips, it's adoption rate is right on par with XP. Forget Microsoft telling you it's double the rate of XP. They aren't taking into account the fact more computers are in use than 6 years ago...so the actual figures put it about at the same rate. Any IS department worth their salt would be testing it and running it in lab environments at the present time though.

Oh no, made a typo. My e-penis must be small.

Vista has serious flaws for IS/IT departments. Any company that has a IS/It department that runs the show(they way it should be) is sticking with XP as properly controlling user rights is much easier until the fix Vista. Vista has great potential in this area, but it is not ready for prime time.

Vista is deployed to every developer and QA associate, as a VM, this so testing can be done while not ruining each computer in our building.

Back