Outlook 2007 setup/exchange error

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
A friend who I setup a computer for a few months ago called saying that they tried to setup a PDA with outlook 2007, but during one of the initial steps selected some option having something to do with exchange, and that now whenever they open outlook it gives them some error having to do with something not being online and doesn’t allow them to proceed further.

That’s not a very specific description of the problem but it’s the best I could get out of her. I tried having them uninstall and re-install office 2007 to see if that would put them back at the first step where they apparently selected the incorrect option but that didn’t help.

I’m going over there in person, but I neither use Office 2007 (I use 2003 w/ compatibility pack because I like it better) nor do I use any version of outlook at all. I’m trying to get a better understanding of what might be going on here, but Google has not proven very helpful.

I am loving Office 2007, but on to the problem. It sounds more like a problem with ActiveSync, which I'm guessing was used for the PDA. I would go into ActiveSync and remove any and all partnerships. If you feel like it, it probably wouldn't hurt to fully remove Office 2007 first. Then, install Office 2007 again and get Outlook working with Exchange. Then, if that all goes well, you could try the PDA setup again correctly. You aloso might want to use something like RegScrubXP, after doing the uninstalls, to clean up any residual settings.

Then, install Office 2007 again and get Outlook working with Exchange.

It's just a home computer and there is no Exchange server involved, that's just the option that she supposedly chose incorrectly that started this whole mess.

Ignore that part of my steps then. Get Outlook working and then try the PDA syncing program.

Back