Outer routing switch - collisions and packet loss

JackTheKnife

Limp Gawd
Currently I have experienced collisions and packet loss on an outer routing switch (1-2% from the States and above 6% when tested from Europe). In a basic way infrastructure looks like

iM0fu.jpg

Where outer switch is Netgear DS524 (previously some Linksys). NSA TS and NSA HA are Sonciwall 2400 family. Internet test gateway and WiFi are network devices before a firewall (a PC and a wireless guest AP).

I have tested if there are packet loss on VLANs behind a firewall but all work as should.

What can cause those packet loss on that outer switch? Any good suggestions for a hardware replacement (up to 8 ports, rack mountable)?

Thanks

You shouldn't have collisions unless something is half-duplex, which should be very rare in this decade. Mismatched duplex is a silent killer.

A Defective cables might also cause that issue. Perhaps looking at the report from the switch may help.

I have bypassed outer switch and there is no more packet loss so definitely it was a switch and back luck with a replacement.

Any suggestion for a good one to avoid similar issue?

Thanks

A netgear DS524 isn't a switch. It is a hub. Four or possibly five seconds on Google would have told you that if it didn't already have dual speed stackable hub written on the front of it.

A netgear DS524 isn't a switch. It is a hub.

This. By definition, a hub with packets traversing it is going to have collisions and thus packet loss.

Any actual switch will correct this problem. I'll let someone else offer suggestions, but it seems like your requirements are:
-rack mountable
-8 ports
-unmanaged

Back