Out With the Old...

Sovereign

2[H]4U
So I bought a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB and it arrives tomorrow.

It will receive a fresh install of Windows-8-with-Windows-7-looks (haters/flamers of all stripes begone), meaning my 300GB VelociRaptor won't need to be an OS drive anymore.

Given that the SSD is going to blow the Raptor out of the water, what kind of software or use cases would benefit most from the Raptor (but might not be justifiable to stuff on the SSD)? Games? CAD apps? My Documents?

Use it for anything that doesn't fit on your SSD. My Documents would probably be the best candidate. I'd keep your apps and games on your SSD.

*headdesk*

I forgot to mention My Documents/Music/Etc. is currently stored on a three-disk, 4TB (usable) RAID5 array.

Would moving it to the Raptor still benefit?

Seems like it's a question of sequential read speed (array > Raptor) vs. access time (Raptor > array).

I'd just keep docs and misc on the array then. Ditch the raptor.

Seeing as I'm going to be tight on case space (running out of 3.5" bays) I'll consider sidelining the Raptor then.

LOL, I just upgraded a clients system the other day. New Sammy Pro, old VR set to hold the Steam folder as his was too big for the SSD.

The VR still have pretty fast IO and still have a place if you use apps that want decent speeds but can do without the love of SSD.

New question: this AnandTech article suggests the drive is already over-provisioned (256 GiB--I saw 233GiB after Windows was installed).

Do I need another 10% spare area designated in Samsung Magician?

Back