Out with the old. In with the new. What will YOU do?

nomad8u

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2008
Another year has come and gone. Another year stands before me.

Will it be filled with promise, success, and gratification?
Or will it be filled with trials, tribulations, defeat and regret?

These things I cannot know, I should not know, I do not know.

What it will be, is a year filled with opportunity. A year filled with potential.

The opportunity is there to start fresh and shed the baggage that was this past year. To rededicate myself to the efforts that I share with so many of you here. To push harder. To work smarter. To be more efficient in my efforts to the cause we dedicate our time and resources for. To share these things I’ve learned that could benefit others in their efforts. To learn well from the problems and issues that hindered me in my efforts and use that knowledge to move ever faster, ever farther toward the goals that we strive for.

The potential is there to make a difference. To continue the search and research for an answer that could ease the suffering of so many. To solve a puzzle whose answer has eluded too long.

The mechanisms are in place. Whatever the reason for being here. Whatever the interest, whatever the means, the opportunity is here. There are projects within this great community to satisfy most any tastes, fit any budget, run most any hardware. Whether that be Folding Proteins via Folding @ Home for Cancer and Alzheimer’s Research, Crunching for Aids Research, Cancer Research, Mosquito Borne Illness Research or Cleaner Power Research via World Community Grid. There are numerous opportunities via our [H]ard DC Commandos team to participate in any of almost four dozen Distributed Computing Projects.

As I survey the rapidly dwindling scenery before me that is this past year I find myself with a certain satisfaction yet a sense of unease.

The satisfaction from having made the decision to do what I can, to use my talents and resources for the potential betterment of mankind. From having joined this great community of dedicated and tireless volunteers that gives so much and asks for so little in return. From having shared what I could with those in need. From having this vast store of knowledge here that is shared so freely, to draw upon as needed.

The unease comes from always wondering; Why did it take so long? Could I have done more? Have I used wisely? Is it enough? None of which I can truly answer.

So I stand here and ponder this past, this year 2008 that draws to a close before me. I appreciate all that has been. The new friendships, the knowledge, the success and the struggle. I stand ready to let this year go. Having taken from it all that it has had to offer. All that it has attempted to teach.

And I stand before a clean canvas, a New Year 2009 that opens before me. A new year filled with potential and opportunity. A new year I stand ready to enter with a fresh spirit and drive. A hope for success. A desire to try. An anticipation not dampened by the baggage I leave behind.

And I find a single thought precedes me into this New Year. A thought so simple yet so powerful, that can be summed up with any of several combinations of two simple words.

I Can!
I Will!
I Dedicate!

These are my thoughts and my vow for the New Year approaching us. What will YOU do?

Paid for by the committee to elect nomad8u HDCotY.
I’m nomad8u and I approve this message.
No animals were harmed in the communication of this message.

Wow, I congratulate you sir on this well thought out, uh, speech? Very insightful. For me, the new year holds breaking my way into the top 200 and genmay. Unfortunately nomad8u, it also holds you becoming a mess on that nice new canvas in just a few weeks beneath my spinning blade :eek: :p :D

*edit* Just realized you haven't been turning in any points for a while. Bah, nevermind what I said, it's no fun mowing brown grass :(

speaking of out with the old in with the new i think it's about time i upgrade my dual opteron 275 box to dual e5420s :)

We can't support a candidate who is so blatantly stealing catch phrases.

I'm alan2308 and I approve this message.

Stealing is such a harsh term don't you think?

Since I'm all about conservation I prefer to think of it more along the lines of recycling. :D

Back