Out of the two year iPhone coma....

Blakestr

[H]ard|Gawd
For all intensive purposes, I've been in a 'smartphone coma' for the last two years. I haven't been paying attention to any of the new phones or reading any of the news, I know what I see on the commercials but take everything with a grain of salt. I'm eligible to upgrade/or change companies...here's what I primarily use my phone for: (currently iPhone 3G)

-Tether to my notebook when I am work (Fire Station, funny how tax payers hate you being on youtube @ 3 a.m. On their dime, go figure?) I suppose a really fast, good looking browser would negate my need to tether (I tether just to surf the net primarily)
-Spontaneous lookup – The one thing I notice the most about the lack of speed is when I need to look up something real fast – granted, the technology has come a long way in two years.
Commute entertainment – I commute to my two jobs a lot (60 minute for one, 30 minutes for the other). I don't like driving, I get bored so I need something that is easy to navigate, internet radio and all that, and something that can manage mp3s/audiobooks.
Hackable – I know no other way to say it...I hate the fact that I had to jailbreak my iPhone so make a scrollbar. Wtf Apple...it's a SCROLL BAR.

It was good for when I first got it but the iPhone is no longer the golden child it used to be. Where I once saw simplicity now I see a lack of options/control.

Also, I hate AT&T. For their shady, arbitrary fees. Though, I'm told the others are just as bad. Meh. I won't pay for a tethering fee....I'll jailbreak it/root it whatever but I'll pay for the unlimited data plan and that's it.

I'm not a video recording/texting fiend but I could see myself using a physical keyboard for emulators. PSX/SNES? I'm in. Is there anything coming out in the next month? I am definitely in the market for android phone more than anything else.

Droid 2 looks good. So does that Samsung Galaxy. But I want something that I can definitely 'hack' to get the most out of it. (Fortunately it seems that a lot of the features I would previously have jailbreak a phone for, are already stock)

I have the Vibrant, Samsung Galaxy S phone. Android has really evolved over the past 2 years, there are a lot of people preferring it over IOS, me specifically. Why? Can hack it, customize it like no other, it's pretty amazing. We are finally seeing some really good hardware running android, and it does pay off.

That being said, give Android a go, you'd love it. As far as best device goes, Galaxy S wins without a doubt. There's this little Android app called Quadmark, basically is 3dMark for Android. Droid X and Droid 2 get around 1400 in it. My vibrant gets over 2200!! So yea, it's super fast. It has an awesome CPU and a dedicated GPU, making this thing fly. Out of the box, however, Vibrant gets 900 on Quadmark. That's only because Samsung uses internal SD for memory storage, which is kind of slow :(. There's a hack to allow you to relocate all of those files quite easily, making this thing amazing! Watch Quadmark Youtube videos between the nexus one and epic 4g, see how much better vibrant is in 3d apps! Nexus one is about on par with the Droid X hardware wise.

You also said you like to hack your phone. In that case, Samsung Galaxy S isn't as advanced YET as say Droid. Why? Samsung is different than HTC when it comes to the way their Android phones work. Most developers know how to work with HTC, not Samsung. We are getting there, but still are a bit behind.

Why choose Galaxy X over other Androids out now?
Both the Vibrant and Captivate are VERY VERY thin and light!
Amazing display, Super Amoled, nothing else comes close! Look at how vibrant the colors are!
Faster CPU
Dedicated GPU
Touch Wiz is pretty slick, cal always mod it though.

Captivate owner here. Really like the phone so far - so much to do on it and I didn't even root it yet.

The only thing that gets me a bit jealous of the iPhone 4 is the gaming library which comparatively, is non-existent on the Android.

Captivate owner here. Really like the phone so far - so much to do on it and I didn't even root it yet.

The only thing that gets me a bit jealous of the iPhone 4 is the gaming library which comparatively, is non-existent on the Android.

There are plenty great android games. Go to gamefly.com on your phone, check them out! They don't have games in Android market yet though :(,

There are plenty great android games. Go to gamefly.com on your phone, check them out! They don't have games in Android market yet though :(,

There are, but compared to iPhone, not really ;)

Did you check out the Apple event today? That tech demo from Epic was just... :eek:

But atleast Gameloft are releasing some good games - although their distribution is horrible so far. And can't go wrong with PSX, SNES and GBA emu's!

If you want a phone for gaming iphone is the only way to go. As another user said, the epic tech demo looks amazing. You also have id software developing titles for the iphone. Along with a whole slew of other great games, like chinatown wars. Android doesn't even come close when it comes to games.

I have the Vibrant, Samsung Galaxy S phone. Android has really evolved over the past 2 years, there are a lot of people preferring it over IOS, me specifically. Why? Can hack it, customize it like no other, it's pretty amazing. We are finally seeing some really good hardware running android, and it does pay off.

That being said, give Android a go, you'd love it. As far as best device goes, Galaxy S wins without a doubt. There's this little Android app called Quadmark, basically is 3dMark for Android. Droid X and Droid 2 get around 1400 in it. My vibrant gets over 2200!! So yea, it's super fast. It has an awesome CPU and a dedicated GPU, making this thing fly. Out of the box, however, Vibrant gets 900 on Quadmark. That's only because Samsung uses internal SD for memory storage, which is kind of slow :(. There's a hack to allow you to relocate all of those files quite easily, making this thing amazing! Watch Quadmark Youtube videos between the nexus one and epic 4g, see how much better vibrant is in 3d apps! Nexus one is about on par with the Droid X hardware wise.

You also said you like to hack your phone. In that case, Samsung Galaxy S isn't as advanced YET as say Droid. Why? Samsung is different than HTC when it comes to the way their Android phones work. Most developers know how to work with HTC, not Samsung. We are getting there, but still are a bit behind.

Amazing display, Super Amoled, nothing else comes close! Look at how vibrant the colors are!
Faster CPU
Dedicated GPU

This. My Vibrant kicks ass.

Out of all the cellphone companies out there, which one is the best for my purposes -- I'm in the central florida (orlando, clermont area)

If you want a phone for gaming iphone is the only way to go. As another user said, the epic tech demo looks amazing. You also have id software developing titles for the iphone. Along with a whole slew of other great games, like chinatown wars. Android doesn't even come close when it comes to games.

Yep. It's not the biggest issue but it's still extremely lopsided.

I just want NHL 2k11 on Android.

Out of all the cellphone companies out there, which one is the best for my purposes -- I'm in the central florida (orlando, clermont area)

Sprint and Verizon work well, not sure about AT&T or T-Mo. My suggestion? Ask around, compare prices, and in Sprint's case, you can do a 30 day trial. If you decide to return the device, you pay nothing at all.

Nobody knows, ask around in your area, or do what I did.

I was with Tmobile for ages, works pretty good here, aside from data time outs. I ended up getting an Evo 4G via sprint when it came out due to them always advertising 4g here and I was getting fed up with Tmobile, Sprint had good deals too. It was PAINFUL! 3G at my house, my gym, doesn't even work. I can't not have 3g when I work out, I stream music all the time there. Ended up returning it within the 30 day time frame and got everything back.

Do that, Sprint is good in some areas, sucks in others. True for all carriers really. Tmobile will get you best packages, some with no contract even. They do have issues with 3g here and there though, in Aurora... it is pretty good. Sprint is second best when it comes to package deals, to me at least. They offer amazing return policy for new customers, I would check em out for a month, can always get all your money back, and Epic 4g is pretty... EPIC :rolleyes:.

Verizon is the most expensive, but I think it is worth it overall. I checked it out one time, while Tmobile here is still faster, 3g connection is way more solid on verizon and more area is covered, that's a fact.

ATT... I'd skip it, too expensive, and from everything that I hear... they are... ugh.

There are, but compared to iPhone, not really ;)

Did you check out the Apple event today? That tech demo from Epic was just... :eek:

But atleast Gameloft are releasing some good games - although their distribution is horrible so far. And can't go wrong with PSX, SNES and GBA emu's!
No, I haven't! Got a linky?
Sprint and Verizon work well, not sure about AT&T or T-Mo. My suggestion? Ask around, compare prices, and in Sprint's case, you can do a 30 day trial. If you decide to return the device, you pay nothing at all.

What he said!

This. My Vibrant kicks ass.

As a Captivate owner with many Captivate/Vibrant owning friends and family I can second this. I know about 10 people with Galaxy S phones already and they all love them.

No, I haven't! Got a linky?

I made a thread on it here:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1544026

The iPhone 4 is really, really fast compared to a 3g. If you are mainly tethering I would consider getting a 4G phone assuming Sprint has 4G in your area. If you want to play games, watch netflix, etc. on your phone grab the new iPhone 4.

Also, don't buy a Droid 1 at this point -- always get the newest hardware you an on subsidy, you are going to have it for 2 years.

They don't have netflix on any of the other phones yet? That's temporary, I'm sure...

They don't have netflix on any of the other phones yet? That's temporary, I'm sure...

I've read awhile back that they are working on an android app right now. IPhone is the most popular, So you will naturally see apps pop on it first. But lately, since android has taken off, apps are being developed side by side and android version isn't far behind. More and more development prefer to develop for android, specially since there is now strong backing from it and huge potential still left.

Faster CPU
Dedicated GPU

Benchmarks aren't everything, even the droid-x can hit over 2k if you turn some features off, benches with it at 1400 are also not including Android 2.2 OS on the Droid-X so they are not typically applrd to apples. The Galaxy-S has a better GPU and Super AMOLED screen though, but the droid-X is larger screen. But theres other things to consider on a phone more than benchmarks, like overall quality and craftsmanship, manufacturer support, call quality (I hear the noise cancellation and call quality on the Driod-X blows away the HTC Incredible.

For Verizon definitely look at the droid-X and the samsung galaxy and determine which one has the features and quality that you need in a phone. I'd only get the Droid-2 if a keyboard is a must, but most people that have it tend to use the touchscreen one anyways. In other regards, its the same internals with smaller screen and scaled down features (HDMI, 720p, lower resolution camera and video are all features it is missing vs the X). Theres a program to Root it with one click, but there is an efuse that may limit custom ROMS.

If you have 4G in your area go with something like the Sprint EVO. I know 4G won't be here for some time, so it is little concern for me.

I've read awhile back that they are working on an android app right now. IPhone is the most popular, So you will naturally see apps pop on it first. But lately, since android has taken off, apps are being developed side by side and android version isn't far behind. More and more development prefer to develop for android, specially since there is now strong backing from it and huge potential still left.

Yes and it is open source based coding, unlike the Iphone that requires custom development for each app (things can't be ported). Theres no way it was going to be the king forever with regulations like that. If you can develop an app for ALL other phones without having to customize code, and then you have to develop it again specifically for the Ipod, development costs go way up. The only reason any company would even bother is because of the large market share of the Iphone.

Last edited:
Benchmarks aren't everything, even the droid-x can hit over 2k if you turn some features off, benches with it at 1400 are also not including Android 2.2 OS on the Droid-X so they are not typically applrd to apples. The Galaxy-S has a better GPU and Super AMOLED screen though, but the droid-X is larger screen. But theres other things to consider on a phone more than benchmarks, like overall quality and craftsmanship, manufacturer support, call quality (I hear the noise cancellation and call quality on the Driod-X blows away the HTC Incredible.

For Verizon definitely look at the droid-X and the samsung galaxy and determine which one has the features and quality that you need in a phone. I'd only get the Droid-2 if a keyboard is a must, but most people that have it tend to use the touchscreen one anyways. In other regards, its the same internals with smaller screen and scaled down features (HDMI, 720p, lower resolution camera and video are all features it is missing vs the X). Theres a program to Root it with one click, but there is an efuse that may limit custom ROMS.

If you have 4G in your area go with something like the Sprint EVO. I know 4G won't be here for some time, so it is little concern for me.

Yes and it is open source based coding, unlike the Iphone that requires custom development for each app (things can't be ported). Theres no way it was going to be the king forever with regulations like that. If you can develop an app for ALL other phones without having to customize code, and then you have to develop it again specifically for the Ipod, development costs go way up. The only reason any company would even bother is because of the large market share of the Iphone.

Benchies aren't everything, I agree. But it does make a difference when you put two phones side by side and compare them. Galaxy S running 2.1 still manages to surpass, we all know that 2.2 is way faster than Android 2.1.Bigger screen isn't everything when it comes to phones. There's always a sweet spot, it's different for each and every one of us. For some, 4.3" is way too big, while 4" is just perfect. I did have the Evo 4g, I loved the size, hated the screen. Sure, it is neat to have a screen of that size, but it looks like crap when you put Nexus one side by side with it, not to mention galaxy S. It's not as vibrant, it's not as sharp, it is a regular TFT screen which looks washed out when compared to AMOLED. You have identical 800x480 resolution on a 4.3" screen that you see on a 3.7" screen, many things look pixelated when compared to other high end devices. Non issue for some, but for me, it is. Specially when I get to play with other high end phones.

So you would recommend getting the Facinate over the Droid-X because the screen is more vibrant? Even though it has less memory etc? From what I have sceen the quality of the Iphone4 screen is hands down still the best, but it's too small for my taste. I just figure the larger screen will be easier to use a touchscreen keyboard on, and bigger is usually better for display purposes even if the resolution is the same. This is because text will appear larger, and buttons should be easier to press with my thumbs. I prefer my 37" Westinghouse 1080p monitor over a 23" screen that is higher resolution. It's simply easier to read and everything is larger.

I ordered the Droid-X the day before Fascinate was announced, but I'm not sure I should switch. I hear Samsung support is terrible, that their phones feel cheap and that it has less internal memory and Ram. I'm not sure going to AMOLED is worth it for my use. I tend to prefer watching video on my 60" TV at home. I really want to know how the Fascinate will compare since it is certainly not too late to switch, but my main concerns are call quality and noise cancelation vs the droid-x, manufacturer support, battery life and build quality. Not knocking the phone, just wondering if it really is better.

So you would recommend getting the Facinate over the Droid-X because the screen is more vibrant? Even though it has less memory etc? From what I have sceen the quality of the Iphone4 screen is hands down still the best, but it's too small for my taste. I just figure the larger screen will be easier to use a touchscreen keyboard on, and bigger is usually better for display purposes even if the resolution is the same. This is because text will appear larger, and buttons should be easier to press with my thumbs. I prefer my 37" Westinghouse 1080p monitor over a 23" screen that is higher resolution. It's simply easier to read and everything is larger.

I ordered the Droid-X the day before Fascinate was announced, but I'm not sure I should switch. I hear Samsung support is terrible, that their phones feel cheap and that it has less internal memory and Ram. I'm not sure going to AMOLED is worth it for my use. I tend to prefer watching video on my 60" TV at home. I really want to know how the Fascinate will compare since it is certainly not too late to switch, but my main concerns are call quality and noise cancelation vs the droid-x, manufacturer support, battery life and build quality. Not knocking the phone, just wondering if it really is better.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'd rather work on a 30" Mac at school then my 17" laptop. Phones are different, keyboard feels amazing on a 4" screen. Sure, you will lose .3", but you gain so much, Keys remain big enough to type both in landscape and portrait, you still have plenty of space for everything. You gain a way better screen, there is no comparison. Go look at Captivate or Vibrant at ATT or Tmobile store, put brightness to max and woah... Samsung has really cool feature which adjusts colors based on conditions. if you are in direct sunlight, it will brighten the colors to the point where you can clearly see everything, even with direct sunlight.

I didn't think I'd ever get a samsung phone, not after the whole Behold 2 crap they pulled, I hated touchwiz too. But this phone was hard to pass up, and it is by far my favorite phone ever. Touch wiz is sleek, messaging app is plain amazing to me.

Less memory? I don't think some of these specs are right. All Galaxy S devices i saw have 512mb of ram, unless Verizon decided to downgrade Fascinate to a lower spec.

Some may not like build quality, I really like it. It's very very light. You'd expect something very solid and massive from the price you pay, but instead, you get something very light and plastic. it looks sleek, but can feel cheap to some i guess. I think that is what you get when you try to build a device which is very light and portable. I like that because i use it when I run, i use it when I shoot hoops. My EVO felt too big, I hated it because of it. This phone, I can barely feel , love it.

As far as bad support goes, I wouldn't worry about that anymore. Samsung came out with something to prove, and they have so far. There's already Android 2.2 for Euro versions of Galaxy S, and we are expecting 2.2 later this month hopefully. The only thing is that most devs are not used to modding these phones, we still do not see many roms for them. But then again, I do love it stock.

Battery life is great too, when comparing it to the Nexus one, Evo and My Touch. Lasts way longer on one charge. But then again, I've never had Droid X. Noise cancelling isn't as good as the Nexus one, but it got very annoying as every time i'd hold my phone to my neck people couldn't even hear me.

Fascinate has 512MB. All Galaxy S phones do. Should have 16GB built-in SD with a Micro-SD slot for another 32GB. The issue with the ram is 2.1 only supports up to 256MB - once 2.2 hits, 512MB will be enabled.

I have the Captivate and I think the screen is amazing. I read forums on it with the view zoomed out all the way and don't have trouble reading. Keep in mind, iPhone is a 3.5inch screen running a higher res - there is a reason text is more crisp. But I prefer the SAMOLED and the Samsung for everything else.

Droid-X or Fascinate, both are great phones and highly doubt you will go wrong with either choice [BTW, call quality is great on my phone].

As for Samsung support. This phone is selling all over the world and in pretty huge numbers. If they don't support this phone properly, I have a feeling Samsung will be dead in regard to the Smartphone business.

The Droid X had enough features that were important to me to win me over instead of waiting for the fascinate.

Couple of things that were important to me:

LED notification light
8 MP Camera
8 hours of 3G talk time
Solid Motorola build quality

The screen is nice on the fascinate and if you use it mostly for watching movies that's great, but alone it's not the most important thing on a phone. As far as the better GPU on the fascinate goes, that's great for games, but I don't play games and Android doesn't employ the GPU for UI acceleration anyway so it's pointless to me.

The Droid X had enough features that were important to me to win me over instead of waiting for the fascinate.

Couple of things that were important to me:

LED notification light
8 MP Camera
8 hours of 3G talk time
Solid Motorola build quality

The screen is nice on the fascinate and if you use it mostly for watching movies that's great, but alone it's not the most important thing on a phone. As far as the better GPU on the fascinate goes, that's great for games, but I don't play games and Android doesn't employ the GPU for UI acceleration anyway so it's pointless to me.

Look up pictures taken with galaxy s.... it beats a lot of other phones in terms of quality, even the Droid in my opinion which has an 8mp. Gpu does a lot more than just help in games, you get better overall performance and in stock android 3d gallery. With gingerbread 3.0, you will have a completely new GUI on android, heavily relying on 3d, I'm sure the amazing gpu in galaxy s will make a difference.

Look up pictures taken with galaxy s.... it beats a lot of other phones in terms of quality, even the Droid in my opinion which has an 8mp. Gpu does a lot more than just help in games, you get better overall performance and in stock android 3d gallery. With gingerbread 3.0, you will have a completely new GUI on android, heavily relying on 3d, I'm sure the amazing gpu in galaxy s will make a difference.

Obviously the camera comparison is going to be subjective. To be honest it sounds like you're in love with your phone, which is great, but that kind of makes you the wrong person to talk to for a fair comparison.

Neither of us will be using the phone we have today when Gingerbread comes out, but you're right, eventually GPU acceleration will play a role in the Android UI.

Obviously the camera comparison is going to be subjective. To be honest it sounds like you're in love with your phone, which is great, but that kind of makes you the wrong person to talk to for a fair comparison.

Neither of us will be using the phone we have today when Gingerbread comes out, but you're right, eventually GPU acceleration will play a role in the Android UI.

I just compare phones a lot lol, Ans that's my conclusion. Yea, I'm probably biased, but who isn't.

Gingerbread is supposed to be out by the end of the year, I was hoping to keep on using my phone then. Although, I have been switching devices white often lately.

Gingerbread is supposed to be out by the end of the year, I was hoping to keep on using my phone then. Although, I have been switching devices white often lately.

As soon as something faster than the Droid X/Galaxy S comes out I'll jump on it, and I hope that'll be before the end of the year :D I just want something like the Droid X with dualcore and stock Android on it.

I would get the evo, epic, or fascinate/captivate.

I have an evo and love it, it is very fast, hdmi out is cool, the camera takes good pictures, the front facing camera works well, tethering works well. Sprints unlimited data plans are awesome.

lol I am so torn between what to gets....at least getting an Android phone will be so much better than IOS

lol I am so torn between what to gets....at least getting an Android phone will be so much better than IOS
Get a galaxy s device for sure. You will end up with the best screen available on android, as well as the fastest processor and graphics card. Just my advice.

Like others have mentioned try sprint with their 30-day trial period. Try to see if you can get some good deals on a plan (either via the http://delivery.sprint.com/m/p/nxt/epc/epclanding.asp, email [email protected], 3 digit code 383) or via talking with their reps on the phone (store reps are generally universally stupid and/or hands-tied and cannot/will not work with you to get the best deal).

Also, most of sprints everything plus plans have unlimited any mobile any time, which is their response to the my circle type of things. Basically, if the person is on a mobile phone on ANY network (not just sprints) you get unlimited minutes. This means your minutes end up only being used for landline calls.

If you're going to use that referral code, use mine please: jordan(dot)forman(at)sprint(dot)com and the 3 digits are 207. Sometimes we are recognized for bringing more referrals in, and if they happen to give away some swag, I wouldn't mind getting it. ;)

I'd look at either Sprint or Tmobile. I know people playing twice as much as I am for data on Tmobile and they're not getting anything special for the money. On Tmobile I'd go with a Vibrant but on Sprint I'd look at the Evo. If you want something hackable the Evo is where it's at. I'm sure the Epic will be just as hackable once more people get it. The only thing keeping me on Tmobile is that they gave me a free Vibrant (there's a buy one get one free deal going on right now).

As far as games are concerned, the iPhone is the best option. There are enough games on Android to keep me happy and the advantages of going with an Android phone FAR outweigh the few advantages the iPhone has over them. Here's a good video showcasing some of the top games for Android:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqZ4nqzr45E

Edit: I should also add that Angry Birds is in Beta on the Marketplace and their servers are getting hammered right now. That's exciting because game developers are starting to make their way over to Android faster and faster and good responses like that will only encourage them. Gaming won't be Android's achiles heel for long. Unfortunately until that happens I have to stick to gaming on my old iPhone.

Last edited:
Get a galaxy s device for sure. You will end up with the best screen available on android, as well as the fastest processor and graphics card. Just my advice.

Both the X and the Galaxy S use the same CPU , which is an ARM cortex A8. Each manufacturer calls it something different but the underlying architecture is the same, so I'm not really sure why you'd think the Galaxy S has the fastest CPU when it's exactly the same as the one the Droid X has.

(inb4 quadrant score pissing matches)

WM04.jpg

Exactly! My Droid-X finally shipped today! I keep reading about how amazing the call quality is due to the tipple microphones for noise canceling. People saying that in the car it sounds like they are talking over a land line. Only time will tell which will be easier to get a vanilla Android install with.

The droid 2 and droid x do not use a cortex cpu, they use a ti omap cpu, which is fast but not samsung galaxy s fast. That being said if you want verizon get a droid 2/x, if you want to go with sprint go epic 4g, and if you choose tmobile id hold out a couple weeks for the g2 which looks like a great device and it runs stock vanilla android in all its beauty

The droid 2 and droid x do not use a cortex cpu, they use a ti omap cpu, which is fast but not samsung galaxy s fast. That being said if you want verizon get a droid 2/x, if you want to go with sprint go epic 4g, and if you choose tmobile id hold out a couple weeks for the g2 which looks like a great device and it runs stock vanilla android in all its beauty

You're wrong, plain and simple. The Droid X uses a TI OMAP 3630 clocked at 1GHz, which is based on the ARM Cortex A8. Read before you post. The amount of misinformation in this thread is getting ridiculous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_OMAP#OMAP3

You're wrong, plain and simple. The Droid X uses a TI OMAP 3630 clocked at 1GHz, which is based on the ARM Cortex A8. Read before you post. The amount of misinformation in this thread is getting ridiculous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_OMAP#OMAP3

Aren't these threads SO much fun?

The big difference in these phones (Speed means NAUGHT to the CPU's, lets clear that up. BOTH ARE FAST. )

GPU.

The Droid/2/X have decent ones.
The samsung S series, has better ones.

We good? I think we good.

Still torn between getting a Droid X and Samsung Epic - there is no 4g in my area but I see multiple 'future towers' that could show up. How is the bloatware on the Epic versus Droid X on Verizon...

Also, has anyone heard of someone not having to pay for the Sprint premium data charge-- like all the reviews I read, it seems pretty lame that you are paying for something you are essentially not getting. (of course, Sprint won't give a timetable to any area). I know a lot of it is permitting delays but don't charge me for it.

EDIT : Just went to Sprint, rep said apparently there is a tower officially launching in Orlando this month--I'm going to have to confirm, but IF that is true, that makes the deal for me. The question I guess is, what is the best way to switch, I guess email those guys mentioned earlier in this thread.

Another question though--do I have to pay for the mobile hotspot thing or can I forgo that and just root the phone and use a tether app like pdanet?

Last edited:
Still torn between getting a Droid X and Samsung Epic - there is no 4g in my area but I see multiple 'future towers' that could show up. How is the bloatware on the Epic versus Droid X on Verizon...

Also, has anyone heard of someone not having to pay for the Sprint premium data charge-- like all the reviews I read, it seems pretty lame that you are paying for something you are essentially not getting. (of course, Sprint won't give a timetable to any area). I know a lot of it is permitting delays but don't charge me for it.

EDIT : Just went to Sprint, rep said apparently there is a tower officially launching in Orlando this month--I'm going to have to confirm, but IF that is true, that makes the deal for me. The question I guess is, what is the best way to switch, I guess email those guys mentioned earlier in this thread.

Another question though--do I have to pay for the mobile hotspot thing or can I forgo that and just root the phone and use a tether app like pdanet?

Don't need root for pdanet ;)

But yeah. You can forgoe that tether plan with a modded rom.

Back