out of ideas troubleshooting a Asus z87 Deluxe mobo.

Dan

Supreme [H]ardness
Edit: Dead mobo. Got a new one

So I was playing WoW last night and my entire system just died. Noticed that the "reset" button on the mobo was flashing. just on off, on off. No patterns or anything. Consistantly blinking. I brought it to work today and tried a new PSU, RAM, Bios reset, removal of the Cmos battery and reseating the CPU. Nothing is working or reacting except the blinking reset light. Tried to google-fu the issue but I cant find ANYTHING or anyone who has had a similar issue. Apparently Asus is going through updates so they cant assist me at all in a chat or on the phone.

Any ideas?

Gaming on wow with 0 overclock to CPU.
Hard shut down with 0 life except a steady blinking reset button on the mobo.
Tried everything I can think of...
Dead mobo?

For fucks sake. First my monitor got RMA'd due to BLB (which just got shipped back to me 5 min ago according to emails so lets see how that goes) and now im running 3x17" monitors in NVsurround and now my entire PC gets screwed... My wife hasnt been working for 2 months since she graduated and starts next week (first paycheck is in 4 weeks)

Glad she has a big girl job and we will be going from a 30k a year house hold to a 120k a year household X_X

I just need to ride out the next month X_X

Last edited:
Very little detail here, could be anything, but most likely the board.

There is nothing on the led display?

Very little detail here, could be anything, but most likely the board.

There is nothing on the led display?
theres nothing. Just the blinking reset button. Everything else is dead.

It's probably the board, the blinking light is most likely some sort of short, the board is trying to reset itself or something along those lines. There could be a short, perhaps even in the reset button itself, so I would unplug everything, and under the circumstances would also try the board outside the case.

It's probably the board, the blinking light is most likely some sort of short, the board is trying to reset itself or something along those lines. There could be a short, perhaps even in the reset button itself, so I would unplug everything, and under the circumstances would also try the board outside the case.
board is already out, Tried unplugging everything except a stick of ram with 2 new PSU's. even trying 2-3 different CPU fans incase the board needed it as some sort of safety.

It's the board, which I'm sure is the same conclusion you came to, something died on it. If something burned out you may find visual confirmation, I would check all power connectors etc. Before RMA to ASUS, I would advise taking high def pics.

It's the board, which I'm sure is the same conclusion you came to, something died on it. If something burned out you may find visual confirmation, I would check all power connectors etc. Before RMA to ASUS, I would advise taking high def pics.
Yea, I figured. It never hurts to post here to bang some brains together. I find a lot of people here tend to overlook the simple things. Mobo is out of warranty i bet.

You've done just about everything it does sound like something shorted out on it. Too bad that's a nice mobo. And if it's out of warranty don't bother contacting ASUS, they are one of the worst and would probably quote you like 200 bucks to 'repair' it.

You've done just about everything it does sound like something shorted out on it. Too bad that's a nice mobo. And if it's out of warranty don't bother contacting ASUS, they are one of the worst and would probably quote you like 200 bucks to 'repair' it.
Yea, It was my friends old setup to hold me over for another 2-3 months until our lives settle financially. in like 5-6 months we will be on track.

I've got a Z87 pro that I haven't tested yet. It has one pin missing that might make it useless but I can test it and see if you're interested.

So I was playing WoW last night and my entire system just died. Noticed that the "reset" button on the mobo was flashing. just on off, on off. No patterns or anything. Consistantly blinking. I brought it to work today and tried a new PSU, RAM, Bios reset, removal of the Cmos battery and reseating the CPU. Nothing is working or reacting except the blinking reset light. Tried to google-fu the issue but I cant find ANYTHING or anyone who has had a similar issue. Apparently Asus is going through updates so they cant assist me at all in a chat or on the phone.

Any ideas?

Gaming on wow with 0 overclock to CPU.
Hard shut down with 0 life except a steady blinking reset button on the mobo.
Tried everything I can think of...
Dead mobo?

For fucks sake. First my monitor got RMA'd due to BLB (which just got shipped back to me 5 min ago according to emails so lets see how that goes) and now im running 3x17" monitors in NVsurround and now my entire PC gets screwed... My wife hasnt been working for 2 months since she graduated and starts next week (first paycheck is in 4 weeks)

Glad she has a big girl job and we will be going from a 30k a year house hold to a 120k a year household X_X

I just need to ride out the next month X_X

Z87: You'll need a good voltmeter with some probes and a LOT of scratch paper. Start tracing the board. Something, somewhere, isn't working. Find it, fix it, and get back to it.

Okay, snarky comment aside, that does suck. See my sig: I've got a z87-pro which I've been running for 10 (?) years. My processor died (4770k) and I replaced it with the 4790k. You've already tested your cpu, so that's not it. Good luck on replacing the mobo. Looks like you've got a lead from the poster just upstream.

Edited to add: Going from 30k to 120k? Okay, here's what you do: live on the same 30k for the next year. That means you'll have 90k of spare cash. Use part of that to build a new rig. Am I helping? ;)

Z87: You'll need a good voltmeter with some probes and a LOT of scratch paper. Start tracing the board. Something, somewhere, isn't working. Find it, fix it, and get back to it.

Okay, snarky comment aside, that does suck. See my sig: I've got a z87-pro which I've been running for 10 (?) years. My processor died (4770k) and I replaced it with the 4790k. You've already tested your cpu, so that's not it. Good luck on replacing the mobo. Looks like you've got a lead from the poster just upstream.

Edited to add: Going from 30k to 120k? Okay, here's what you do: live on the same 30k for the next year. That means you'll have 90k of spare cash. Use part of that to build a new rig. Am I helping? ;)
a badass member sent me a z87 board to hold me over and told me to pay in a few weeks. Im back up and running. Thanks for the post though

Reactions: c3k
like this
Back