Out of Fan Headers

MuscleNerd

Limp Gawd
Everyone,

Whats up guys? So I have a Gigabyte AB350M HD3 Motherboard (yes I know its not that good, but I can still overclock everything so Im happy) and it has one fan head, no surprise with a cheap mATX.

I have 4 fans right now and I purchased a Thermaltake Commander fan hub, but It is running my fans at 100% and its annoying as hell. Even the Corsair AF120 Quite Editions are not quite at 12v 100%.

What are my options here? My fan header has a 2 amp max load. My fans take .08 amps per fan, so i can clearly run all 4 off that one header and it does offer 3 pin fan control through voltage regulation, so that's good.

I was thinking about just running an extension to the back of the case and then buying two splitters to enable 4 fan connections, if someone has a better idea please let me know. My other option was the Phantek Hub, but I don't want to run into the same issue I have now.

Thanks

4 fans off 1 fan header is a bit much. remember you have to give it lee-way so i would put 3 fans on one header just to be on the safe side. Don't want to max out the amperage and fry the header. I have 10 fans off the fan hub on my Primo case. You can always use Sunbeam extreme fan controller which handles 30w per line. You can run 4 fans off each line for a total of 16 fans with room/wattage to spare.

I've got a few older Sunbeam fan controllers ( 4 knob versions) and used them for Vantec Tornado fans.

4 fans off 1 fan header is a bit much. remember you have to give it lee-way so i would put 3 fans on one header just to be on the safe side. Don't want to max out the amperage and fry the header. I have 10 fans off the fan hub on my Primo case. You can always use Sunbeam extreme fan controller which handles 30w per line. You can run 4 fans off each line for a total of 16 fans with room/wattage to spare.

I've got a few older Sunbeam fan controllers ( 4 knob versions) and used them for Vantec Tornado fans.

.08A x 4 fans = . 32 amps . My fan header supports 2 amps, isn't that plenty of lee-way?

I'm a firm believer of being in the safe zone. You can probably get away with it, but remember there are always voltage/amperage fluctuations so those numbers will rise or fall. If you're brave go for it. Me, I wouldn't, but then that's how I see it.

I guess I need some more input, because 1.68 amp seems like a ton of lee way to me. Even if it only supported 1A, that's .68 amps of lee way.

I use Antec Tru-Quiet fans that have a little 2 speed switch hanging off them. I use the included molex adapter directly off my power supply. They run full speed but you can't hear them.

Win-Win.

I had mobo fan headers fry on me. I don't take the chance no matter how much load they can handle.
i don't doubt that but its much easier to fry a 1a header. hell ive fried one by repurposing a dell fan that was 1.23a without realizing it. he has more than 1.5a of room.

i don't doubt that but its much easier to fry a 1a header. hell ive fried one by repurposing a dell fan that was 1.23a without realizing it. he has more than 1.5a of room.

lol, I hear ya! Same thing happen to me several times! That's when I started using thew 4ch Sunbeam controllers.

I say get a 4 way splitter and control those fans from the mobo... 3 headers on my mobo are running 3-120mm fans each and there is no difference if they were plugged in each directly...

I say get a 4 way splitter and control those fans from the mobo... 3 headers on my mobo are running 3-120mm fans each and there is no difference if they were plugged in each directly...

Yeah thats what I did. If you take a look up above those are the links. I bought an extention so the splitter will be hidden in the back of the case and its a 4 way splitter.

I just made the same mistake. Have a silverstone fan hub hooked up to Corsair SP120's. The RGB is lovely but the 3-pin fans spin at 100% all the time.

Good news those two items I purchased worked wonders. My PC is dead silent now. Only issue I have is that my LED on the Corsair AF120s are not as bright now. They are controlled through voltage from the Motherboard, so less voltage less light. Oh well I say that's a fair trade.

Back