our top got its (deleted) kicked by Intel (FX-60 @ 2.8 vs Conroe @ 2.66)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only person who would of rather seen an equal MHZ test. Just overclock the FX60 60mhz. Its been a long time since an Intel could beat an AMD clock for clock on the desktop scene. Would have been nice to see a direct comparison. And why wouldnt they since the numbers would have been meaner? or atleast run the test both ways.

The leapfrog game will continue! Woohoo, prices should drop, but in 6 months, bleh. Good to see them throw a punch for once.

Jakalwarrior said:
Am I the only person who would of rather seen an equal MHZ test. Just overclock the FX60 60mhz. Its been a long time since an Intel could beat an AMD clock for clock on the desktop scene. Would have been nice to see a direct comparison. And why wouldnt they since the numbers would have been meaner? or atleast run the test both ways.

To show off that they have a 2.8 AMD? I dunno, dont care too much, jsut really happy to see a conroe review.

Well if AMD has nothing to counter, they atleast had a good run for the last 2 years. It may take the K9 to leapfrog Intel again, and the game is afoot!

Neverending!

Personally, I'm not upgrading my X2 for atleast another 2 years anyhow. So this is pointless too me.

Jakalwarrior said:

That's like decapitating Marlon Brando.

Sabrewulf165 said:

Obviously you missed the class in sarcasm. Intel benched with what they had available to them from the competition, simple as that. I'm sure if AMD gave them an AM2 platform, they would have benched with it. Just would have had the same, if not worse results according to Anand.

hmm, first time intel has something good. I don't know how long it's gonna take me to get a new CPU the way I buy candy :D . I hope intel is on to something good, i am not going to upgrade for a long time, so Conroe will be an antique before I get a new CPU. Right now I am looking into GPU's cause I still use AGP :p Take that suckas.

YARDofSTUF said:
To show off that they have a 2.8 AMD? I dunno, dont care too much, jsut really happy to see a conroe review.

They ran at 2.8 in anticipation of what Conroe faces at launch. But, it's also just as likely 2.8 was what that particular FX-60 could reasonably do.

The Conroe is a Quad CPU correct? Just curious cause that's not really a well mated match up. That being said, this may make AMD get off its collective rear and start them ramping up production of their higher speed chips while prepping new releases sooner than expected. Well, one can hope. :)

-E

Boltaction said:
Good. Competition will lower the prices for everybody.
wheres the competition?? I just see AMD getting blown away

MrE said:
The Conroe is a Quad CPU correct? Just curious cause that's not really a well mated match up. That being said, this may make AMD get off its collective rear and start them ramping up production of their higher speed chips while prepping new releases sooner than expected. Well, one can hope. :)

-E

nope, its a core duo

ND40oz said:
Obviously you missed the class in sarcasm. Intel benched with what they had available to them from the competition, simple as that. I'm sure if AMD gave them an AM2 platform, they would have benched with it. Just would have had the same, if not worse results according to Anand.
so you honestly think that amd is gonna move to a new platform with worse performance? ;)

personally, i can't take any of these benches at face value quite yet. let's wait till us enthusiasts have the hardware in our hands... i can't trust a lot of these reviews anymore :(

(cf)Eclipse said:
so you honestly think that amd is gonna move to a new platform with worse performance? ;)

personally, i can't take any of these benches at face value quite yet. let's wait till us enthusiasts have the hardware in our hands... i can't trust a lot of these reviews anymore :(

sounds like sour grapes to me

umm the X2 was clocked higher......

I just want a good computer, although, what if AMD goes out of business, maybe that is intels hope, then they will start charging 2000 bucks for the cheapest single core celeron :p
You know what, screw this, a lot of people still have 939's.

osalcido said:
sounds like sour grapes to me
tehehe, it might indeed. we all know how i'm a raving insane lunatic who gets upset over everything ;)

Yes, the conroe is techincally a "quad" core processor, since it has hyperthreading, but hyperthreading is not substitue for real dual cores..

But, it really doesn't matter.. it's not like those game benches were mulithreaded, cept for quake 4 where the FX caught up to about 13%..

Barnaby said:
Yes, the conroe is techincally a "quad" core processor, since it has hyperthreading, but hyperthreading is not substitue for real dual cores..

But, it really doesn't matter.. it's not like those game benches were mulithreaded, cept for quake 4 where the FX caught up to about 13%..

where does it say this conroe had hyperthreading?

andrew911tt said:
I am so sad we just got killed
I hope AMD has a couple of aces up its sleave with AM2/65nm chips but i don't think it does

Unless you actually work for AMD, I don't see any reason for a "we." As a consumer, you do best to look out for the superior product, and not worry about brand name. Why be loyal to a company? The only loyalty AMD or Intel has is for their shareholders.

I don't think it does. HT was made to use up the extra resources in the vastly long pipe of the P4.

Stellar said:
Perhaps, but you have to take into consideration they are comparing a middle of the road Intel chip to AMD's flagship chip while overclocked.

Imagine the difference we'll see when comparing chips from the same price class.

No, they are comparing a chip that cannot be purchased yet with a chip already on the market.

The difference we will see will be far less noticeable when comparing chips from the same price class (when Conroe is released) because AMD will have to lower their prices to stay in business. Why would anyone pay more for a chip that is less powerful?

That being said, I miss the days of kick-a$$ $80 procs!

me too, a lot, I remeber me barton 2500, such a great CPU, lasted me till this last summer.

I(illa Bee said:
wow, nice read...

I would still rather have the FX60 because it pissed my intel luvin buddie off that I run AMD!

Oh. So in other words performance doesn't matter at all to you. This camp crap makes the HardOcp AMD board look like a bunch of f an bo ys. Processors should have NOTHING to do with pissing friends off, it should have to do with performance at a reasonable price so things will get better and better as time goes on.

Hasnt this been done before? I mean, it seems like just four months ago new processors were developed.

Do they read my brain waves yet? That'd be cool. Make me a sandwich orange juice bitch, you know what i drink. Yea, the cat is hungry too.

Etcetera. I wonder how many people are going to dump thousands of dollars just to get the absolute biggest e-penis? I spent $500 on a processor that i'm still paying for. Chip companies know money is to be made, and people definately have it!

It'd be funny if we just stopped buying their products omg am i rite? :D

I love the "oh i should have waited three months to upgrade" feeling. Now i dont care. I'll buy a new system when this one doesnt do what i need it to LOL :eek:

Kind of funny, isn't it? I mean, for years now the AMD mantra has been: "MHZ isn't everything!" Intel has just proved them so right about that.

RegisteredToPost said:
Hasnt this been done before? I mean, it seems like just four months ago new processors were developed.

Do they read my brain waves yet? That'd be cool. Make me a sandwich orange juice bitch, you know what i drink. Yea, the cat is hungry too.

Etcetera. I wonder how many people are going to dump thousands of dollars just to get the absolute biggest e-penis? I spent $500 on a processor that i'm still paying for. Chip companies know money is to be made, and people definately have it!

It'd be funny if we just stopped buying their products omg am i rite? :D

I love the "oh i should have waited three months to upgrade" feeling. Now i dont care. I'll buy a new system when this one doesnt do what i need it to LOL :eek:

umm yeah if you dont have the money, you shouldnt be buying things

for those of us that do, why not?

Boltaction said:
Oh. So in other words performance doesn't matter at all to you. This camp crap makes the HardOcp AMD board look like a bunch of f an bo ys. Processors should have NOTHING to do with pissing friends off, it should have to do with performance at a reasonable price so things will get better and better as time goes on.

What's wrong with spending money for fun? Perfomance may be fun for some. But ticking friends off may be more fun for others.

Good. It's about time Intel competed with AMD. Competition is good, drives prices down.

anyoen who looks at this adn says INtel has puleld ahead is a moron.

The chip Used for Intel isnt even slated for release for 6 months... thats assumign its released in 6 months its prototype its not a shipping product hence what it does means jack compared to a currently shipped product.

2nd this was Intel own benchmark.... lets take a moment and think that one through.. ever see Apple hosted benchmarks... not exactly fair or true in the long run.

Why not compare this conroe chip to one of AMD's prototypes thats 6 months away or more knowing intel and lets see how it goes.

The sheer jump in performace should amke any intellegent person raise a eyebrow..

hwen and IF this conroe chip is released in that current form will tell the true story and i bet its more then 6 months away.

People, think of it this way: when the A64 came out and trounced the p4, did everyone get rid of their socket 478 CPU's? no people today still use socket 478 even with the fact that the A64 beat it BADLY. so don't go whining, cause this is another A64 situation, we don't have to give up our 939's. Heck, i still game on a socket 423 1.8 GHz and it handles Doom 3 fine @ 800X600 medium with a 9200 AGP.

Man, and I was anxious to do a new build this summer too...looks like my s754 3000+ and AGP 6800 GT will have to last until the first Conroe chips show up on the market.

This is going to be awesome. Let's jsut hope AMD can get it together to provide us with some awesome competition.

This looks like Intel may be one to something promising. I for one can't wait to see AMD 65nm AM2 vs Intel Conroe, since this bench is just showing future tech vs current tech.

I will say that the performance of the Conroe is impressive. But according to the info I have read it won't be out for six months. Why not compare Conroe to the newly released Opteron 185??? Even then it is not a fair comparison by any stretch. This is like saying in 5 years AMD's processors will be 10x as fast as Intels Conroe!!!!

Load of bullshit, but what do you expect, the benchmarking was done by INTEL.

Having said that, I think its at least apparent that Intel and AMD may start leapfrogging each other each generation rather than the current situation where Intels latest releases never/rarely surpass AMD's current tech.

Enjoicube said:
People, think of it this way: when the A64 came out and trounced the p4, did everyone get rid of their socket 478 CPU's? no people today still use socket 478 even with the fact that the A64 beat it BADLY. so don't go whining, cause this is another A64 situation, we don't have to give up our 939's. Heck, i still game on a socket 423 1.8 GHz and it handles Doom 3 fine @ 800X600 medium with a 9200 AGP.
yeah. I mean, just think of it as your processor is the fastest for your budget. Then you shouldnt have any regrets

jcll2002 said:
yeah. I mean, just think of it as your processor is the fastest for your budget. Then you shouldnt have any regrets
well said ;)

plus, i'm probably gonna end up inflaming some feelings here, but this is exactly what i mean by i can't trust this preview... is it just me, or does this single threaded performance (4th picture) not look quite right. take a close look at the p4 vs. p-D.. now who here remembers the p-D being a touch slower in single threaded performance compared to a similarly clocked p4? :confused:

now, if we're gonna be fed information that false, why should i believe that intel's own benchmark suite is any more accurate?

mayaman said:
I will say that the performance of the Conroe is impressive. But according to the info I have read it won't be out for six months. Why not compare Conroe to the newly released Opteron 185??? Even then it is not a fair comparison by any stretch. This is like saying in 5 years AMD's processors will be 10x as fast as Intels Conroe!!!!
QUOTE]

OK, but you realize any processor AMD will reach in 5 years from now is just a figment of a collective imagination right now.

(cf)Eclipse said:

Well intel did it when they moved from Northwood to Prescott, which was the start of DDR2 intel platforms. AMD might just be playing follow the leader on this one. I certainly hope not, but we'll find out in 3 months.

I wonder when a single core A64 wont cut it for gaming? I plan to keep mine for a while....

And lol, these benchmarks are everywhere! Seems everyone is up in arms. AMD people mad, Intel people doing the happy dance, and the neutral people(myself) happy for some compition and lower prices. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back