• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ouch! Overclocking mistake?

wake6830

Gawd
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
843
My 3000+ Venice on a Chaintech VNF4 was running with no problems on stock voltage @ 2.4ghz, with the memory on a divider. I decided to push it a bit further, and got it up to 290 on a lower divider with voltage @ 4.25. For whatever reason I decided to try to set my memory at 1T, but after I made that change in the bios, the computer did a long boot and reset the bios. whatever, i defaulted to optimal settings and exited. The computer ran fine. Then I decided to just go back into the bios and set it to my last known completely stable setting @ 2.4ghz - I did that a few times but got the long bios-resetting boot everytime. Then I defaulted to the optimal settings again and went to load windows - It stuck at "verifying DMI pool" for a while, then said boot disk error or something. Crap! I put in the windows disk to repair, but it said it couldn't find the drive or something was invalid. I tried the maxblast boot disk, but it froze every time on the analyzing disk system task.

So I wound up having to reinstall windows :(

Any idea what happened? I'm pretty sure I hit all the settings right when going back to my stable overclock, but the computer still didn't like something I guess. I really want to go back to that overclock instead of my normal 1.8, but I don't want to keep reinstalling windows. :(
 
my guess is the PCI bus somehow got upped, corrupting your HDD, and necessitating a fresh install of windows...

try flashing your BIOS if there's an upgrade?

 
I think I seriously fucked the hdd somehow. I reinstalled windows, but after i installed sp2 and all my drivers, i kept getting bsod's and automatic reboots. I uninstalled sp2 but the problem kept occuring. I went to reinstall windows and after it formatted the drive and rebooted to start the installation process, it would freeze. I tried my install on an extra 80gig drive I had lying around and it works fine, so far.

Bios is the newest available.

Bah.
 
Are you installing windows overclocked? Install it at stock speeds if this is the case. You might also want to clear the cmos by either hitting the reset button on your board or unplugging the battery for a few seconds.
 
Nope, all windows install attempts occured at stock settings. CMOS was cleared twice, to no avail.

Once I get back up and running on this 80gig, I'll hook up the 250 as a backup and do some investigating to see what the hell the problem is.
 
Well, I'm up and running again. I haven't tested the 250g maxtor to find out what the problem was, but i'm assuming my overclock fried it somehow. is there some sort of pci/ide lock that i need to turn on? I had pci-e set to 101 mhz, 1 above the clock just as cfeclipse's guide suggests.
 
I found out my crashes were due to the nvfirewall. i uninstalled that and I'm running fine now.

Using maxblast to copy my 80 gig to the 250.
 
wake6830 said:
I found out my crashes were due to the nvfirewall. i uninstalled that and I'm running fine now.

Using maxblast to copy my 80 gig to the 250.
yay! glad to hear it was a software problem -- always a relief!

 
Yup, well only a partial relief. I'm pretty sure my overclocking did corrupt the hard drive somehow, but it's back to normal now. I'm back @ 2.4ghz, no problems. I'll probably leave it there for now, because dealing with this has been pretty frustrating.

When I get an external drive that I can mirror my current one to, then I'll go for 2.6 or higher.
 
Back
Top