Otterbox iPad case

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
I love my Otterbox case for my original iPad. I was going to buy another Otterbox case for the new iPad.

I noticed that the case also fits the iPad 2, no biggie since they are basically the same size. I'm wondering if it is the EXACT same case that they were selling for $35, but jacked up to $90 for launch?

Pictures for "both" cases look identical.

On Amazon its $50 with poor reviews.

If it is the same case, anyone have an alternative to the Otterbox? I like the protection and the rubber grip surface.

Anyone know?

I like my bear motion case. It fits both the iPad 2 and the iPad 3. I recommend it.

+1 Bear Motion
Very nice case for the money, fits pretty good and having the built in stand is nice.

I just found out that my bear motion case does not work with the smart cover autolock feature. They are releasing a new version to address this problem. check Amazon.com.

I thought the iPad 3 was slightly thicker than the 2? If so the case will be different.

I thought the iPad 3 was slightly thicker than the 2? If so the case will be different.

The case actually fits...but apparently apple changed the magnets somehow...so while 80% of the cases work, some don't.

The case actually fits...but apparently apple changed the magnets somehow...so while 80% of the cases work, some don't.

apparently the magnet sensor is sensitive to polarity now.. my targus slim case wasn't working.. so I cut it open and flipped the magnet over and tested it.. and it works now.

glued it back together after I took the ipad out.. it was a hacky solution, but I was happy with the case otherwise.. and wanted to see how it worked.. I knew it was magnets, but I always thought it was more than one.

There's an updated otter box defender for ipad2/new ipad

Yes I believe the iPad 2 cases will fit the new iPad. Now is the new otterbox case truly new or is it the same iPad 2 case relabeled.

If I'm going to get it I'd rather

1. Get the updated version if it really is updated.

2. Save money buying from amazon if it is the same old case.

There is not a new updated case the the iPad 3, the 2nd gen is the same as third.

The new Otterbox defender for the new iPad has a built in screen protector, it has the magnets on the cover AND its made out of the better "rubber". So it is completely different and better than the second-generation IMO.

Oh yeah it also has a recessed home button as well so it doesn't get turned on accidently like it did with the 2nd gen iPad case.

Last edited:
The new Otterbox defender for the new iPad has a built in screen protector, it has the magnets on the cover AND its made out of the better "rubber". So it is completely different and better than the second-generation IMO.

Oh yeah it also has a recessed home button as well so it doesn't get turned on accidently like it did with the 2nd gen iPad case.

Thanks. That is the info I was looking for.

Can one of you guys comment on this case...what does it weigh? Is the protection screen something you have to slick on or does it simply press against the iPad screen? Does it will the light and how is it for finger prints?

I got to admit that I like the looks of it.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey guys I'm looking into the bear motion case as I think it looks pretty good after further research. Does anyone know where I can get one in Canada? Amazon.com won't ship to Canada :(

Hey guys I'm looking into the bear motion case as I think it looks pretty good after further research. Does anyone know where I can get one in Canada? Amazon.com won't ship to Canada :(

I haven't a clue where to get it..but I just got the new version for the iPad 3 and it looks and works great.

Otterbox case are very good for the iPads and it has a great grip towards it and I went on a site sfplanet.com where they are offering 30% off for the otterbox cases plus free shipping

Back