• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

OT: New PC

Medieval

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 17, 2001
Messages
1,303
I normally don't ask for help, but I am pressed for time (i.e. I have none). My mother is looking to buy some parts to build a new PC and I wanted to see what other people thought before I went this route. Here is what I am looking at:

Abit KN8 (Socket 939)
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
1 Gb PC3200 RAM (Crucial probably)
ATI R8500LE-B3 RADEON 8500 64MB DDR AGP
300 Gb SATA by Maxtor
Cheap ATX Case

She already has a CD/DVD, scanner, monitor, keyboard/mouse, and burner. Does this sound like a decent system for Windows XP? She will be doing email, basic/intermediate Photoshop, Word, very little gaming (my father does like Links or something). I think this is sound and I can get the parts for like $600 or so shipped. Thanks for any input.


Medieval
 
you might want to get a decent PSU.... very doubtful that the one in the "cheap case" will be worth having...

Seems like more than enough for the need (unless it's folding, then it's perfect :D )... but I would pick up a reliable PSU... Spectre can chime in on the best PSU for your situation.... he's the resident PSU guy


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

 
By cheap I meant one with 350 Watt. I have used these for my 1800+ PCs at home - good for 1 year so far and now issues. Do I need to bump this to say 400W? Or are we talking solely on terms of quality like Enermax or Antec?


[EDIT] To Moosie: I'm still here, I pop my head in every now and then to make sure you guys are behaving. Trying to manage my own life at home and home right now.... Not a lot of free time.
 
Spectre recommended this one for my spreadsheet...


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

 
OK. Then I will end up with a case like this This to put it in. I just need something cheap and usaeble as my mom does not need anything fancy.
 
The only thing I noticed was the Video card. That's an AGP card and the mobo has PCI Express...
 
Back
Top