OSX - turn off sleep mode when on power adapter / lid closed?

Octave

Gawd
So ya, like the title says, can you make it so that when your on power adapter it doesnt go into sleep mode when you close the lid? Ive checked all over for the setting and i cant find it. Let me know if theres a way to do this at all or if there is some nifty way around this built in feature (computer in sig).

Edit: reasons include but are not limited too downloading large files (bittorent or lectures), keeping USB ports live and powered, streaming material off of the laptop to other electronics (itunes, movies on hard drive / external hard drive)

Octave said:
So ya, like the title says, can you make it so that when your on power adapter it doesnt go into sleep mode when you close the lid? Ive checked all over for the setting and i cant find it. Let me know if theres a way to do this at all or if there is some nifty way around this built in feature (computer in sig).

Edit: reasons include but are not limited too downloading large files (bittorent or lectures), keeping USB ports live and powered, streaming material off of the laptop to other electronics (itunes, movies on hard drive / external hard drive)

This option was broken in OS X 10.4.8. It already required 3rd party software to do, but in 10.4.8 it became unable to be exploit.

I believe if you have an external mouse you can keep it awake, I don't know though. I thought the pros could stay awake, I mean my friend's macbook pro wakes up all the time when he closes it or never goes to sleep.

Ok, so i have a mouse plugged in USB style, and i close the lid...it sleeps, i wiggle the mouse, and i think it comes back awake, but with the screen off cause the lids closed....obviously..but now when i open the lid to check to see if anything actually happened, the screen wont turn back on. So i have to hard-restart it. Any solution to that one?

Octave said:
Ok, so i have a mouse plugged in USB style, and i close the lid...it sleeps, i wiggle the mouse, and i think it comes back awake, but with the screen off cause the lids closed....obviously..but now when i open the lid to check to see if anything actually happened, the screen wont turn back on. So i have to hard-restart it. Any solution to that one?

Unplug the mouse, close the lid, wait a few seconds, open the lid again.

Like I said, clamshell mode is broken in 10.4.8, USB/external mouse or not.

It's not a feature Apple advertises or supports; it was a clever hack to cause the clamshell behavior.

my macbook will stay "awake" with the lid closed if i have an external monitor and mouse hooked up.

Back