OS reinstall, now gpu client makes desktop sluggish?

arnemetis

2[H]4U
Hi everyone, My vista imploded and I have since reloaded and have noticed now that my gpu client that my primary display is on will make window dragging and general use choppy or laggy, before it never did this. What have I done/forgot to do that's causing this problem? Any help would be appreciated. It's set to normal priority, and I've set it to not lock to a single core. It's machine ID 3, my other gpu is 2 and cpu folding is 1. Driver is 181.20. Thanks.

Can we assume you didn't reinstall Vista with that massive over clock?;)

Sigh. Of course I did. It's 34 hours prime stable though, should be good through everything. I figured it was maybe the driver version not playing nice, but if noone else is experiencing this then I dunno.I don't know what a cpu overclock would do with desktop performance being sluggish when only the main gpu is folding. I've got the second going right now no problem as well as the smp client, if there was a problem the smp would of picked it up I'm sure. I guess I'll try a different graphics driver later.

Try updating your chipset drivers to the latest.
Did you update to the latest DirectX?

I'm on vista, didn't know there were any updates. I've done all my windows updates. Chipset drivers are latest from the evga website. I'm going to downgrade to 180.60 now as that's the latest cuda release from nvidia's site, will keep you posted if it works or not.

*edit* Nope same damn thing...what the hell? Maybe I set them up wrong or something...Need more advice :(

I was running 180.60 CUDA on XP, and I not only saw slowness but I also had occasional GPFs that Windows blamed on the display driver. I just downgraded to 178.28, and everything seems much smoother. However, I'm also getting less PPD. Since this is my primary desktop PC, I'll take stability over performance.

edit: my PPD numbers are now back up to normal. I'm not sure why they were low for a while, since it doesn't seem to have been related to the WU/project.

So aside from the blue screens the latest betas gave me, I was still getting poor desktop performance. So I decide to set my bios to failsafe stock settings. Still no good. Try my old driver that used to work beautifully for me, 180.48. Alas, still this problem. It then dawned on me. I NEED TO TURN AERO BACK ON! Apparently when running smp + 2 gpu clients, there's no cpu power left to drive the desktop gui - but with aero transparency on, I can glide my windows all over my desktop, there's no typing lag, no context menu lag, anything! Would you believe it? To think I went through a whole vista install, several driver uninstall/reinstalls, and all it was was ENABLING an eye candy vista feature. I'll let you all pick your brains over this one, I think it's rather ridiculous it came to this :p Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I'm setting my overclock back now :D

For me computer desktop runs smoother with areo enabled. try that. Long shot but try it.

That's what I'm saying! I enabled aero and everything is fantastic. Things are going so well that I decided to link n sync my ram with my fsb now, so ddr3-1700 with the same timings, memtest ran several passes ok! :D

That's what I'm saying! I enabled aero and everything is fantastic. Things are going so well that I decided to link n sync my ram with my fsb now, so ddr3-1700 with the same timings, memtest ran several passes ok! :D

Glad I could help. Don't forget to vote for Hard DCer of the year ;)

Back