OS Partition

Spaniard

Limp Gawd
I currently have HD partitioned (120) for OS, MP3, & Games/Programs. I Use Ghost to backup the OS & the other partitions for emergency situations.

My questions is with each new installation of games/programs how much info, that is actually needed for the game/program to run, is copied to the OS folder (WinXP) and will I have to update the backup of the OS so that the backup contains the newly added information? :confused:

well for the most part it would be the registry
%systemroot%/WINNT/System32/config, however Dynamic Link Libaries, would possibly be installed in not only the .dll cache, but elsewhere, and of course this is in addition to the directory for the program itself, which generally (but not always) installs to the %systemroot%/ProgramFiles directory

Originally posted by Ice Czar
well for the most part it would be the registry
%systemroot%/WINNT/System32/config, however Dynamic Link Libaries, would possibly be installed in not only the .dll cache, but elsewhere, and of course this is in addition to the directory for the program itself, which generally (but not always) installs to the %systemroot%/ProgramFiles directory

Do you think the "growth" is large with each installation of a game or program? The reason I ask is because I want to resize the OS partition and give as much space as I can to the other Partitions. I don't want to have extra space that won't be used in a partition where only the OS resides. :cool:

SequoiaView (freeware)

as far as size goes, the registry, and dlls can almost be ignored maybe a MB or 2 at most
use SequoiaView to average how large your "typical" game or application is going to be (based on similar programs already installed)

Back