OS not detecting dual core (somtimes)

Chris Lakies

Limp Gawd
I have a dual core cpu.........somtimes when i boot up the task manager tells me i'm running a single core cpu. If i reboot it then detects it. Whats up with that. Please note that i did the OS install with this same dual core cpu. Is there an option to tell the OS to ALWAYS detect dual core? I'm stumped. I don't want to do an OS reinstall if i don't have to.

Added note: i have run dual prime and rthdrbl for 23 hours, so i know my over clock is stable.

Thanks for the help!

Hi

First question... what is the OS?

I will assume Win XP

Which service pack level are you at? Hopefully SP2.

This article on microsoft's support site may have something to do with it:

More information
Windows XP SP2 is required on computers that have multiple CPUs that support ACPI processor performance states. This requirement includes computers that support the following items:

• Multiple physical sockets
• Multiple-core designs
• Multiple logical threads, such as Intel hyper-threading technology

Because Windows XP was not originally designed to support performance states on multiprocessor configurations, changes are required to correctly realize this support on multiprocessor systems. Windows XP Service Pack 2 includes the required changes to the kernel power manager. These changes make sure that Windows XP correctly functions on multiprocessor systems with processor performance states.

Have a read through the tech article and see whether it matches your problem. It may be that one of the cores is going into a power saving mode and is then not being woken up again by the OS. If that doesn't solve it, let me know!

J

Well yes i'm running Windows XP Home (32bit).

I installed the AMD X2 dual core driver........and i think it worked to solve my problem. I already had the Windows Dual core hotfix installed.

Now everything seems good.

Chris Lakies said:
Well yes i'm running Windows XP Home (32bit).

I installed the AMD X2 dual core driver........and i think it worked to solve my problem. I already had the Windows Dual core hotfix installed.

Now everything seems good.

Well i booted my computer up this morning and look..........one core!!! REFORMAT TIME!!

Back