OS 3.0, first impressions

vage

2[H]4U
So guys, now that the new OS is out, what is everyone's impressions of it? Is it everything you've hoped and dreamed, or did it leave you lacking?

Landscape e-mail and SMS is great.

AT&T Sucks ass for not having MMS ready for launch.

Copy & Paste is nice to have, Finally.

Other than that, it's pretty much the same.

I agree, nothing that really blows my mind. One thing that's nice is the system wide spotlight feature. I set my Home button up so that a double press brings up the search, and its a nice feature to have. Nothing that really blows me away though.

please tell me that spotlight can search web pages....

I'm excited to give it a try, but don't want to be without a jailbreak for a few days :D I'm psyched about landscape text/email

edit: how does copy/paste work?

I've been using beta, and will update to gold tonight. The only thing that blows my mind in 3.0 is stereo bluetooth. However, as of beta 5, the AVRCP profile had bad compatibility issues. I'm hoping that's fixed for the gold release.

I've been using beta, and will update to gold tonight. The only thing that blows my mind in 3.0 is stereo bluetooth. However, as of beta 5, the AVRCP profile had bad compatibility issues. I'm hoping that's fixed for the gold release.

What build # was beta 5?

BT stereo is working pretty good now in the GM/Release.

What is bluetooth stereo anyways? I don't get how I would use it.

What build # was beta 5?

BT stereo is working pretty good now in the GM/Release.

Phone says 7A312g, which, IIRC, is what the FW file on my home pc says for beta 5.

Bluetooth stereo works ok in my impressions. If the network drops and the phone searches for a network, this causes the stream to stutter (at least on my phone it does). My main issue is with the play controls for external devices. The devices that I tried had something wrong with it. Either the FF/RWD buttons didn't work, the play/pause didn't work, or none of them worked. Not saying this is completely the iPhones fault, but some better compatibility would be nice.

What is bluetooth stereo anyways? I don't get how I would use it.

As KaosDG said, stereo headphones. I use those for when I work out. Also in my car I have bluetooth which allows me to stream stereo sound to the car stereo.

How is the Stereo blue tooth for playing music? Does it work with Last.Fm and all that?

"accessing i-tunes store"

wait

wait

network connection timed out...

soooo, my phone is useless until they get their crap fixed... absurdities like this can only come from apple.

"accessing i-tunes store"

wait

wait

network connection timed out...

soooo, my phone is useless until they get their crap fixed... absurdities like this can only come from apple.

Absurdities like what? Being overloaded because EVERYONE is hitting there servers?

it happens, even to the biggest of sites.

Fixed my crawling speed issues that 2.2 created, so I'm happy there.

AT&T needs to DIAFF though. Their excuses are BS, Engadget is reporting that it's easy to turn on Tethering and MMS, and both work 100% fine in the US. AT&T is just trying to figure out how best to charge us for it. :rolleyes:

I downloaded the update, but it won't install the OS. An error message popped up saying that "The iPhone Activation Server is temporarily unavailable".

Anybody else getting this message also?

@Verge - Yeah, chill out. =P It was JUST released so you have, oh, how many tens of millions (they just announced, it was either 10 20 or 40...I forget which) of iPhone OS appliances out there? No matter how much you plan, that will take any system to it's knees. Wait an hour or two, try again.

@Verge - Yeah, chill out. =P It was JUST released so you have, oh, how many tens of millions (they just announced, it was either 10 20 or 40...I forget which) of iPhone OS appliances out there? No matter how much you plan, that will take any system to it's knees. Wait an hour or two, try again.

It's not a world of warcraft update... its' a cellphone, that is rendered useless while they fix their servers.

Unacceptable, i should be able to use my phone without apple needing to intervene. This is just a software update.

It's not a world of warcraft update... its' a cellphone, that is rendered useless while they fix their servers.

Unacceptable, i should be able to use my phone without apple needing to intervene. This is just a software update.

you could NOT update right away. Not updating won't make your phone unusable. (double negative galore?) :)

I love my iphone, but as I go through the new features.. I think to myself, "it's about time..."

Phone isn't useless.
It still works on 2.2. How many people right now DON'T follow apple to the T won't even be aware that there is an update until they sync their phones later?

you could NOT update right away. Not updating won't make your phone unusable. (double negative galore?) :)

Would have been need to know info... I wasn't aware you had to register your phone once the update was done or it was unusable... or i definitely wouldn't have upgraded.

I think the store might be coming back online, it's showing signs of life.

Had some frustration with Exchange ActiveSync here. After the update, Mail could no longer talk to my Exchange system via AS. I deleted the account, tried to set it back up, and Mail could not contact my AS front-end server. Had to VPN in to my office (VPN lost the shared secret during the 3.0 upgrade - glad I had a note with it), then attempted AS setup again. This time it worked. I let Mail finish syncing, then turned off VPN. Tested, and Mail is now working fine sending & receiving via AS Push.

So a bit of a pain in the ass having to reconfigure Mail via VPN, but not too bad. In terms of features, cut & paste is nice & easy. Landscape email is incredibly awesome (I gots gorilla thumbs :p), and I really like the Spotlight facility. Haven't played with much else yet though.

-Brian

Fixed my crawling speed issues that 2.2 created, so I'm happy there.

AT&T needs to DIAFF though. Their excuses are BS, Engadget is reporting that it's easy to turn on Tethering and MMS, and both work 100% fine in the US. AT&T is just trying to figure out how best to charge us for it. :rolleyes:

They're not going to charge extra for MMS, if you have a messaging plan, it's included anyway.

Yes the features work, but if they unlocked it for every iPhone owner in large cities with dense iPhone population, it'd overload their existing network, at least, that's what has been said and I don't doubt it, but yeah, I'd like tethering now... and I know it's probably going to be charged for, but it's not like everyone would use it, so I'd figure that feature would be safer than MMS to roll out now.

And yes, you can just push a custom carrier file to the phone using the SDK and get MMS and tethering back, at least in the OS, MMS won't actually send as the info on the network has updated to something we don't know, tethering does work though, USB or BT, and I really have no idea how they'd check for it..

Oh yeah, about 3.0, been using the GM since it was available through my dev program, and was using the betas pretty extensibly as well, it works perfectly with my car stereo now which is awesome, too bad I bought an iPod Classic to fill that void because it was so crappy even in 2.2.1, but that could be Pioneer's fault too, but either way, I like the Classic because it just works, and my 32GB 3G S will be here friday, got my tracking from China last night. So yeah, I used my mom's upgrade for it too, so she's getting my phone, and of course now they lower the price to normal for people with the higher cost of upgrading... and they unlock 3.0 for 3G phones... sigh. I could have made some money, oh well, can't have it all.

Last edited:
A couple of things I don't like that they definitely should have implemented. A setting that would allow you to turn landscape as the primary view for texts/email, I don't want to have to turn my phone and wait for the screen to respond every time. On that same note, I want to be able to read the preview of it in landscape mode as well. I just think that would save a lot of time and be way easier.

Still waiting on activation server access. Ugh, ridiculous.

Damn, that sucks. I was sitting here all day just hitting "Check for updates" until it came through, so I must have got it before the rush started.

upgradeing from 2.2.1 to 3.0 forces an active phone to re activate? And as a result... your phone isn't work until it can get through?

upgradeing from 2.2.1 to 3.0 forces an active phone to re activate? And as a result... your phone isn't work until it can get through?

I didn't have to reactivate, and I updated my personal phones plus all 6 of our QA iPhones at work.

Don't know what everyone else is seeing.

Only downloading at 98k/s is gonna take forever to get this file. Now I just have to wait for the Jailbreak to be released and I am golden.

Landscape texting and MMS is all I am caring for.

Only downloading at 98k/s is gonna take forever to get this file. Now I just have to wait for the Jailbreak to be released and I am golden.

Landscape texting and MMS is all I am caring for.

Well keep waiting cuz MMS isn't supported yet.

well, i got the OS to install by using the following instructions found HERE:

This solution worked for me. Found it on Mac Rumors.
At the point at which the software is being extracted (assuming you have been able to download it) turn off your internet connection.
The software installation then proceeds without a problem.
At the point at which you get the message saying "can't connect to the itunes store" turn your internet connection back on.
I then had to eject the iphone and physically unplug the usb lead, then plugged back in and it has worked fine.
Not sure why it works but it does.

now, all this did was e-brick my phone. it installed the OS, but it will only allow for emergency calls now. so, now what?

HA HA
thats what happened to me with OS 2, fuck this piece of crap lol, thats what you get for thinking apple could do a huge launch at the same time and not have any problems... again
best guess would be to find out how to do a system restore on the phone, but say good bye to all personal data! Thats what I did. Then I realized that apple doesnt care that the phone is an important piece of hardware that cant afford down time, they say screw you, turn it over and look at the shiny apple, that should hold you for a few days while you think of why you really bought a damn iPhone

What I want to know is does any of this apply the to dumb asses that paid 4x what kids are paying these days for their phones ? (those of us with EDGE versions) I have apple care and my phone has a half faded screen and 3-5 stuck picels at any one time, I want to swap it out and get a 3G version, but knowing how stingy apple bastards are....

well, i got the OS to install by using the following instructions found HERE:

now, all this did was e-brick my phone. it installed the OS, but it will only allow for emergency calls now. so, now what?

It took over an hour and multiple phone/computer restarts for it to finally activate my phone, but it is now (in case anybody else experiences the same problems)

I just replaced my original iPhone and the guy isntalled the 3.0 for me, and so far it seems alrite. I think it's very gimicky though.

Of course it's gimiky, it's apple. You are finally getting basic things a razor can do 3 years later on your crazy expensive phone

Back