Original Guild Wars ?

Climber

Supreme [H]ardness
Is it worth while to start the original up again? Besides the titles and items from.the Hall of Monuments is it worthwhile to play for the story? Is it possible to solo the early game as the only thing i remember was being rushed through then my buddy stopped playing for WoW and i was pretty much lost.

With 2 on the way im kinda jonesed for it but im also bummed that i never "finished" the original.

You know, I was playing it this weekend in order to unlock stuff for GW2, and I was amazed at how well it has aged. And it kills me to say it, but I think it's a better game than GW2 right now.

GW1's story is... meh... It's decent for an MMO. Main reason to play is to collect skills and experiment with different combinations. The gameplay is still fantastic.

It's possible to solo just about everything, because you can bring NPC heroes and henchmen with you that take the place of people.

(Disclaimer: I've logged ~3000 hours or so of GW1, so I'm pretty biased)

You can "solo" everything because of heroes and henchmen filling up the remaining party slots.

It can take quite a while to finish the "story" since there's factions, nightfall, and eye of the north as well now.

Do the expansions contribute to the story or just add more skills and characters?

When you start your characters in GW1, start them in Nightfall, because the tutorials are better and the learning curve is much more forgiving. You will also get your heroes from Nightfall, which are your best NPC party members, which will make the original game and other expansions much easier. Then do Prophecies (original game), then Factions (more difficult), then Eye of the North (I would do EotN last because it has the endstory that sets up for GW2).

Official Guild Wars Wiki
Unofficial Guild Wars Wiki
Unofficial wiki used to be better but the official wiki has mostly caught up and in some places is better now.

To understand how to progress through the storyline, see the mission overviews, and these are one thing the unofficial wiki lays out a lot better than the original:

Nightfall missions overview
Prophecies missions overview
Factions missions overview
Eye of the North missions overview

Also, use PvX Wiki to know what builds and skills are most powerful for you and your heroes, though it will be awhile before you can understand what's going on there. A very brief but significant note: Ritualist heroes are the best healer heroes, much better than Monk heroes, though you will need to use the Monks at first.

I eventually used the 7HPS build to beat everything in the game solo and most of it in hard mode, but it will be a long time before you can put that team of heroes together.

Thanks for all that. That looks great. Are the nightfall characters more advanced? Should I stay with one of the basic characters?

I wish I could still play for Random Area PvP but both my accounts got perma banned for talking to much shit. :(

Thanks for all that. That looks great. Are the nightfall characters more advanced? Should I stay with one of the basic characters?

When you say "Nightfall characters," do you mean the professions or just a character started in Nightfall in general?

Using this Wiki link on the professions as a reference, the "Core Professions," or the professions introduced with the original game (Prophecies) can be started in any of the three campaigns (Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall are all campaigns and can be played without the other two attached to an account; Eye of the North is an expansion, and requires at least one of the aforementioned three campaigns to play). The Assassin and Ritualist, however, cannot be started in Nightfall so if one of those two professions look interesting to play, you will have to start in the Factions storyline rather than the Nightfall storyline.

Anyway, characters started in Nightfall aren't necessarily better than those of other campaigns, it's just that one gets to have access to heroes faster than the other campaign if I remember correctly, it's been awhile since I played. Hope I answered your question!

If you are starting a new character don't make a prophecies character because they take a lot longer to get max level/armor. All professions are good except paragon is just a party buff character. Pretty much get to EOTN ASAP and reach level 20 there, start building your hero team and just do all the content you can.

As much of a GW2 fanboy that I am, I never could get into GW1. The way your character moves and the combat in general just feels terrible IMO.

As much of a GW2 fanboy that I am, I never could get into GW1. The way your character moves and the combat in general just feels terrible IMO.

Is it the static feel of pointing and clicking?

Just curious as I may give GW1 a try too (single player run).

You know, I was playing it this weekend in order to unlock stuff for GW2, and I was amazed at how well it has aged. And it kills me to say it, but I think it's a better game than GW2 right now.

GW1's story is... meh... It's decent for an MMO. Main reason to play is to collect skills and experiment with different combinations. The gameplay is still fantastic.

It's possible to solo just about everything, because you can bring NPC heroes and henchmen with you that take the place of people.

(Disclaimer: I've logged ~3000 hours or so of GW1, so I'm pretty biased)

I agree, I've played Guild Wars since it was released, I believe its better than GW2 so far based on what I've seen from GW2. GW2 has been a pretty big letdown to me so far. Guild Wars has aged like a fine wine and still looks and plays exceptionally well today.

Is it the static feel of pointing and clicking?

Just curious as I may give GW1 a try too (single player run).

You can click to move or use keyboard keys to move. You can click your skills or you keyboard keys to trigger them. So yeah, it's not really point and clicking.

I will say this about the combat: It is very cerebral. You select a set of 8 skills (out of hundreds) to bring with you. Some of them have lengthy cooldowns. Mark of a good player is knowing when to use them. You can (and will) die just as often due to poor initial skill selection as you will due to messing up in combat.

If you like sprinting around and dodging/rolling/parrying/crit striking/being uber1337, then it's not the game for you. Best comparison I can make is GW1 is like combat in Dragon Age 1 and not Dragon Age 2 (which is more GW2's style).

I logged in the other day and was happy to see people all over Lions Arch and other places... seems like the community is keeping this game alive still. This game is great and worth a run through.. good mmo (er.. kinda) with no monthly. hard to say no to that. :)

Well I can't log in. Can't remember my characters name from who knows how long ago. Support was quick to get back to me but haven't heard anything for almost 12 hours now. Kinda bummed, was hoping to get it resolved quick.

I'm in now.

Last edited:
Started a Dervish, they looked cool. Thanks all for the info so far.

Last edited:
Wife and I have had a ton of fun the last few months. The game has aged really well, and the quests are a riot if you take the time to read them.

Dervish isn't a strong primary, but makes a good secondary for farming. If you want to whip some mobs' asses, a spirit spamming ritualist or a Spiteful Spirit necro is a lot of fun.

Dervish isn't a strong primary, but makes a good secondary for farming...

I disagree: The Dervish is plenty good for a primary for PvE, as are the rest of the professions. Large, AoE Physical damage is pretty nice; it's all about how one plays his or her character. Having played a Dervish as my primary character for a couple of years (I even bought Obsidian Armor for it as I enjoyed it that much), I had absolutely no trouble doing any content with a capable team by my side.

Climber, a tip about playing Dervish that I found was helpful: Don't focus on using any of the self-heals. It's a little more understandable at the lower levels, but you should focus on doing damage. It's a Monk's/Restoration Rit's job to heal you, and your heroes won't mind doing that at all.

Have fun!

I disagree: The Dervish is plenty good for a primary for PvE, as are the rest of the professions. Large, AoE Physical damage is pretty nice; it's all about how one plays his or her character. Having played a Dervish as my primary character for a couple of years (I even bought Obsidian Armor for it as I enjoyed it that much), I had absolutely no trouble doing any content with a capable team by my side.

Climber, a tip about playing Dervish that I found was helpful: Don't focus on using any of the self-heals. It's a little more understandable at the lower levels, but you should focus on doing damage. It's a Monk's/Restoration Rit's job to heal you, and your heroes won't mind doing that at all.

Have fun!

Thanks, so far it has been a ton of fun. Only level 7 but taking my time reading the quests and whatnot.

Back