origin spyware thread closed

jojo69

[H]F Junkie
ummmm, seemed like a fair topic of discussion, I have always had my doubts about these intrusive DRMs...have said in past threads that "steam is malware"

thread was not mean spirited or particularly controversial IMO

why closed?

Ahhhhh, ok, usually there is an explanation when one of the mods closes one...thanks

Probably because there are 100 posts a day about people bitching how horrible origin is and spayware blah blah.

If it really was....would 10 million people bought the game to play?

Probably because there are 100 posts a day about people bitching how horrible origin is and spayware blah blah.

lol yeah i got sick of those threads as well. to bad its always the same people bitching that don't realize they have probably 10-15 programs that already do exactly what origin does. but oh well since its an EA program its automatically the most evil software in the world and all the rest don't matter.

Worse than spyware, for me it seems to be adware. It throws up fucking ads for shit everytime I login to origin or boot up. Usually linksys, but most of the time a retarded blank page.

Thankfully BF3 is awesome, or I'd have uninstalled a while ago.

lol yeah i got sick of those threads as well. to bad its always the same people bitching that don't realize they have probably 10-15 programs that already do exactly what origin does. but oh well since its an EA program its automatically the most evil software in the world and all the rest don't matter.

If steam blatantly told everyone they were doing this...it would perfectly fine because Valve is such a nice company. :p

Worse than spyware, for me it seems to be adware. It throws up fucking ads for shit everytime I login to origin or boot up. Usually linksys, but most of the time a retarded blank page.

Thankfully BF3 is awesome, or I'd have uninstalled a while ago.

wha?.....I never get adware when I load up Origin.....Where the fuck are these ads you talk about?

Its weird to me that people accept that level of intrusion to their systems...I've been missing a lot of games because of it. Oh well, to each his own

Its weird to me that people accept that level of intrusion to their systems...I've been missing a lot of games because of it. Oh well, to each his own

And exactly what intrusion?.....I mean i havent had the DEA or FBI knockin down my door for anything?

Intrusion to what?

Like all your info isn't somewhere online yet

Just asked my roommate and a few buddies in mIRC if they get ad's when Origin loads up.

Not one of them has seen an adware popup....

Lies maybe?

Or some other bit of adware installed on his system.

Yeah I am confused by people getting ads, I have had Origin since the Alpha and not once have I seen ads pop up from it.

Or some other bit of adware installed on his system.

Yea thats what im thinking too...

It really makes me wonder if alot of these people dont want there Stats uploaded because they have illegal windows or software and are worried about getting in trouble?

When EA had the Crysis 2 for 16 bucks a couple days ago that would pop up initially when I would launch Origin, haven't seen anything the past couple of days that its now over. Needless to say steam is far worse, shit will popup all the time. I don't really care myself, it's not like it was minimizing BF3 to show me an ad. As for the level of paranoia of some people, well do what you like imo, if you want to miss interesting things in life cause your infos is on the internet (which it already is, and in huge databases all over the continent) that's fine by me.

ummmm, seemed like a fair topic of discussion, I have always had my doubts about these intrusive DRMs...have said in past threads that "steam is malware"

thread was not mean spirited or particularly controversial IMO

why closed?
I closed it because I got my answer and didn't want to see the thread break down into 10 pages of FUD and people talking out of their asses.

In case you're still curious about what Origin collects/does, I found this thread interesting: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7492824.page

amen

If I recall many years ago when Steam was starting out, people complained of all these same things. Steam was supposed to be this giant growing evil entity that invades everybody's privacy and slows down everybody's computer to a crawl.

Now look at it, people can't get enough of Steam and purchase every game they can there.

I closed it because I got my answer and didn't want to see the thread break down into 10 pages of FUD and people talking out of their asses.

Like we've seen in probably a dozen threads by now and is on its way to happening in this thread, too? ;)

The thread was amongst the most tedious I have read, glad it was closed. The OP was guilty of stirring up the hornet's nest, despite wanting it closed

Yea thats what im thinking too...

It really makes me wonder if alot of these people dont want there Stats uploaded because they have illegal windows or software and are worried about getting in trouble?

Well, good to know at least it isn't necessarily an Origin issue so maybe I can fix it. I will also say I haven't seen the Linksys 'ads' lately, instead it's just a box with a spinning circle (like a volume control knob on stereo equipment) and a message that says "! Notice" on the left hand side. Pops up every time I load Origin, and goes away when I kill Origin in task manager.

And everything on my computer is legit, so that isn't the problem here. Maybe something hitched a ride when I installed Origin? Haven't had any other issues aside from this one.

Back