Origin Reaches 4 Million Users, Third-Party Games Soon

Not trying to make excuses for Steam here, but I'm sure if Origin had the huge install base that Steam did, there would be just as many slowdowns. As a side note, I can't remember the last time I've had a huge reduction in speed just because there was a bunch of people downloading. I'm almost always able to achieve 2.5MB downloads, unless it's a hugely popular game just released or patched, where it might go down to 1MB/sec or so.

Why? And do you use Steam? If so, why Steam and not Origin? What is Valve doing that EA isn't or vice versa?

I would like to know.

I won't either, it's nothing to do with steam vs origin, I want 1 digital platform the same way I want 1 internet connection, 1 mobile provider etc.

If origin was out first and I had 200 games on origin and steam came along and did the same thing then I'd say steam could get lost. I've picked my preferred platform, they can either chose to release on that platform or lose the sale, it's entirely their choice.

I'm not going to miss out on playing a great game just to avoid the hassle of having my games spread throughout the internets.

I won't either, it's nothing to do with steam vs origin, I want 1 digital platform the same way I want 1 internet connection, 1 mobile provider etc.

If origin was out first and I had 200 games on origin and steam came along and did the same thing then I'd say steam could get lost. I've picked my preferred platform, they can either chose to release on that platform or lose the sale, it's entirely their choice.

Do you only shop at 1 gas station? 1 retail store for every single item you need? Do you go as far out of your way in real life as you do when you support Steam? You cannot convince me there is a difference. I just want to know if you do this in all aspect of life or only when it comes to Steam.

Do you only shop at 1 gas station? 1 retail store for every single item you need? Do you go as far out of your way in real life as you do when you support Steam? You cannot convince me there is a difference.

Not exactly what I would consider a good comparison, although there are quite a few places I avoid like the plague, such as GameStop.

Do you only shop at 1 gas station? 1 retail store for every single item you need? Do you go as far out of your way in real life as you do when you support Steam? You cannot convince me there is a difference. I just want to know if you do this in all aspect of life or only when it comes to Steam.

Apparently people don't like diversity or choice.

The problem is modern digital distribution services have essentially artificially created the dilemmas of game library and social networking fragmentation.

A hypothetical analogy would be gas stations putting an additive in fuel that somehow causes you to get lower MPG if you use other stations, yet somehow convincing consumers that you are getting better MPG by sticking with one station. This is a sharp contrast compared to say using a rewards/loyalty to promote customer retention.

Traditionally for game purchases, distributors have always competed on how well they can deliver the product to you at the best price. You never had to concern yourself with where your friends by their games, or where you previously bought your games. Whomever offered the the best package for that particular game would you get your business. If you ever had a serious dispute with any store, you would not even hesitate and be able to end your business with them without repercussions regardless of how many games you've purchased from them or how many of friends buy from them.

I'm not going to miss out on playing a great game just to avoid the hassle of having my games spread throughout the internets.

Same. It would only bother me if I had to manually open all those programs every time I turn the computer on, but I have xfire, steam and origin auto-start with windows, so it does not bother me at all.

I buy all my games digitally on steam and so far sense having origin I am liking it more then steam. Hopefully they keep making it better and add more and more games.

It's different from the choice of which gas station or grocery store to buy from - what if each grocery store had exclusivity on certain products?

But it's not like I'm going to let a little thing like Origin stop me from playing a game I'll enjoy.

Really? What about games that are STEAM exclusives only? Where is the choice in that?

Lol...

Like what? It's been a while since I've been to a Fry's but I remember there being CS, TF2, L4D, etc all there.

Last edited:
Like what? It's been a while since I've been to a Fry's but I remember there being CS, TF2, L4D, etc all there.

So I am not forced to install Steam with my retail copies of these games? Teach me your ways because I've obviously been doing it fucking wrong since 2004.

I will not install Origin on my computer, period.

If you buy BF3, you're going to have to whether you like it or not, as it's DRM, even if you bought the disc from the store, I'm sure your going to have to sign up with Origin.

Back