Origin did something right.

Today I was staring at Origin wondering if I really wanted to play BF3 badly enough that I would actually support EA. So I said to myself I'll give them a test. Hopped on Live Chat to request something weird.

I explained to the Live Chat person named Valeria that I had purchased MoH long ago, but lost my discs in my storage unit when I moved. I was wondering if she could hook me up with a downloaded copy to replace the physical one. I explained that I did take the time to register it, and that she can check my stats on the Gun Club website.

Valeria asked me what my serial code was and I responded that I didn't have a clue as the Dvd case was in storage. She didn't promise me much, but offered to try to help. 2 minutes later I had MoH in my list of games. Can't beat that for customer service!

So in short I finally had a good experience with Origin. I wish my DLC for DA:Origins Ultimate Edition worked, but this kinda made up for it. Still wary of EA, but good customer service goes a long way to winning me over.

At least now I may be willing to give them a chance even though I still think that not every publisher needs proprietary software running on your system to play their games. But if they are willing to sell Indie and other publisher's games on their service then I would consider them to be another Steam / Direct2Drive / Impulse, etc. This last statement has yet to fully materialize, so I'm just watching to see what they do in the end.

So with no proof that you bought the game in real life, you conned them into giving you something free....

yay for you..

I got all excited because I thought people were talking about Medal of Honor: Allies Assault.

Have no idea what happened to one of the discs for that game...

So with no proof that you bought the game in real life, you conned them into giving you something free....

yay for you..

calm down there buddy, he said he linked them to his EA Gun Club account to verify ownership. Your EA Gun Club account is linked to the games you own and have played, through none other than your EA account.

You sure do have a big opinion on something you have never used. Do you tell people a ( insert random movie ) is good that you haven't seen it?

And the direction they are going is the same as steam. Probably should uninstall Steam too. Since you don't like that direction.

Uh, hello ? The reason he doesn't like Origin does not require installing it. He opposes it on philosophical grounds, not based on how it works or doesn't work.

And his point is, if you support Origin by EA, eventually you have some service for Ubisoft, one for Activision, one for Sony, etc. And he's right. Steam is enough. Not every damn publisher needs to have their own online game portal.

This is true, though nowhere in Steam's TOS or any legally binding document is that plan laid out. The only reference to it is a post on a Steam forum so they would be under no legal obligation to follow through and even if they do the promise would only apply to their games because unless there is a clause for it in the contract publishers signs they would have no legal right to modify games they don't own. In other words the promise is little more than PR crap.

Nonsense. If you buy a non-Valve game through Steam, the company that owns and runs Steam - Valve - is under every bit the obligation to support that game as their own games. To say otherwise is moronic. In both cases you gave money to Valve for a game. It does not matter who developed or published the game. You bought it from Valve.

Valve lets you download the games and removes the steam based DRM on them, they said that in an official statement.
I've never checked this, especially with my internet connection disconnected, but I'm pretty sure you can navigate to your Steam install folder and run your games locally from there.

I will have to check that out tonight.

Back