Ordering tonight (GPU for res 1920x1080)

I have everything in my Sig but my video card. I was going to order it Friday but I decided to wait till the 22nd of Feb when the Wifes big taxes come in. I got alot back from my Taxes but Decided that paying off my 2 credit cards would be a better plan then buying my video card.

I ordered the Entire Rig in my Sig on Thursday got it on friday but was short for my video card till feb 22nd

Edit: I have been tossing around the idea of the 6950 & 570 for awhile now. I wish the 570 was at the 6950 price tho :( Was I originally wanted to do was this. Buy the 570 when they had the deal that came with Mafia II and Just cause 2 and sell both games to my friend for 40 bucks which would give me the card for 309 but the deal ran out.
 
5870 is really quite weak nowadays, imo. It can't max newer games. Get at least a 6950 2gb. The 2gb is starting to matter.
 
I have everything in my Sig but my video card. I was going to order it Friday but I decided to wait till the 22nd of Feb when the Wifes big taxes come in. I got alot back from my Taxes but Decided that paying off my 2 credit cards would be a better plan then buying my video card.

I ordered the Entire Rig in my Sig on Thursday got it on friday but was short for my video card till feb 22nd

Edit: I have been tossing around the idea of the 6950 & 570 for awhile now. I wish the 570 was at the 6950 price tho :( Was I originally wanted to do was this. Buy the 570 when they had the deal that came with Mafia II and Just cause 2 and sell both games to my friend for 40 bucks which would give me the card for 309 but the deal ran out.

Well, are you willing to flash the 6950? If so, then buying a 6950 seems like the best choice.
 
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I recently bought two 1920x1080 monitors and am looking to get a GPU upgrade that will at least last me a couple years, since I don't upgrade very often due to financial limitations.

I greatly favor Nvidia, but right now they aren't leaving me much choice since the 570 is slightly out of my price range ($300 max). Does anyone who has bought one recently know if the 6950's currently on the market can still be unlocked? I'm mostly basing my decesion to get a 6950 off the fact that it can be unlocked, if that can't be done any more I don't mind waiting a couple months for prices to drop.
 
well I just figured out that I can do this the cheapest 6950 is 283.00 Newegg put 30 in my paypal from a Return so that cuts the 6950 down

6950 2GB = 283
-30.00 = 253.00
-20 Rebate = 233

Im going to go this route hopefully Sapphire is good with Rebates
 
well I just figured out that I can do this the cheapest 6950 is 283.00 Newegg put 30 in my paypal from a Return so that cuts the 6950 down

6950 2GB = 283
-30.00 = 253.00
-20 Rebate = 233

Im going to go this route hopefully Sapphire is good with Rebates

That's not including taxes or shipping though. Regardless that's a good price for a great card.
 
I dont have Tax on newegg and its 3 dollars to Ship I added that in the price.

Grand Total: $282.98

The way I see it now I can do this cause newegg Refunded my 30.00 to my paypal so out of Pocket I will spend 252.98. I just noticed the Rebate Expires on 2-15 so I lost out on that
 
I dont have Tax on newegg and its 3 dollars to Ship I added that in the price.

Grand Total: $282.98

The way I see it now I can do this cause newegg Refunded my 30.00 to my paypal so out of Pocket I will spend 252.98. I just noticed the Rebate Expires on 2-15 so I lost out on that

As long as your rebate is postmarked before the 15th, you'd be good. Or maybe even 30 days from purchase. Regardless, its a good buy!
 
I bit on a 6870 back during November and I just added a 2nd one recently. I feel like it was a great decision.

It's awesome to see that you're not riding the fanboy wagon and just looking at price-to-performance.

That being said, I had to think long and hard about buying a 6950 and passing my 6870 to my wife. I have heard entirely too many stories about the 6950 being unlocked successfully and turned in to a 6970.

For a single card solution, I believe you are on the right track sir.
 
Still a null point. The HD5870 isn't really any slower than the HD6950, and won't feel any slower in modern games either. The 2GB of memory is pretty much irrelevant at 1920x1080, and given the resolution-scaleability of the 6900 series, you're actually gaining nothing, sometimes even losing performance, switching from a 5870 to a 6950. The 5870 gets a needlessly bad rap compared to the newer cards because it isn't priced effectively. It's not horrendously inefficient (it's just as fast as the GTX560Ti and uses the same amount of power, often slightly less), and it's still DirectX11. The only thing you're gaining with an HD6950 is better performance at 2560x1600 (and typically only 5%), better tesselation, 20W less power used, and more memory. All nice things which make the 6950 a better card, but it still carries a $70 price premium for all that.
 
I found on SuperBiiz a Sapphire 6950 2GB

$289.99 (Use Promo code: KICKOFF) & it knocks $15.00 off the Price making it

$274.99 - 30.00 = 244.00 - 20 rebate - 222.99

If I go this route I actually save 10.00 :)
 
The 6950 is a beast of a card but do not underestimate the power the 5870 brings to the table, IMO 5870 definitely deserves a spot in the "Videocard Hall of Fame" right next to where I would place the 8800 GT.

Also, will you be overclocking/unlocking?
 
An unlocked 6950 will match or exceed a GTX 570.

+1, easily. Even a stock HD6950 is hot competition for a GTX570, when you unlock it, it's pretty much a given that it's a superior card, with a $50 lower price tag and up to a 50W lower power consumption to boot.
 
and the price as I showed you above. 222.99 when all said and done thats a steal lol

I found on SuperBiiz a Sapphire 6950 2GB

$289.99 (Use Promo code: KICKOFF) & it knocks $15.00 off the Price making it

$274.99 - 30.00 (currently in paypal) = 244.00 (out of Pocket) & has a 20 rebate making it 222.99 when said and done.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top