Ordering powerbook, 15 or 17inch screen???

ya cha cha

[H]ard|Gawd
I am about to buy my powerbook and right now I am stuck between the 17inch and the 15inch screens.

I just wanted some input on what everyone thought. With the student discount, it is only going to be about a 200 dollar difference between the two.

Right now I am leaning towards the 15inch powerbook. I am planning on carrying it everyday to class and I want something that will fit in my backpack.

The 17inch has drawn my attention for a few reasons. First of all, the screen is huge, you really can use it as a tv and sit away from it, I'm not sure the same can be said about the 15inch. I plan on keeping my 19inch crt, but the 17 offers more screen when played in widescreen.

Also I am going into film and the extra space would be great for editing as I am always wanting a bigger timeline.

I guess in the end its an opinion thing. My friend has a 17inch powerbook and I still can't decide if its practical. I just want to hear from anyone who has exsperience between the two and any feelings they have on them.

I just want to know if there will be a big difference between a 17 or 15 powerbook in my backpack. I know the weight is a very small difference, but the size is pretty different.

personaly I would go for the 15 over the 17" because of portability...you are talking about going into film and doing editing...get a good LARGE second screen and do extended desktop for that...I have always felt the support for that size of a screen is a little "flimsy" but that is just my opinion and engineering knows a HELL of a lot more than any of us do so again it is MY opinion ;) if your friend is a REAL good friend see if he will let you borrow his for a few days and see what it is like to use for that time frame and see if it is too big of a hassle and if it is then your decision is that much easier...if it isn't same thing :D

A relative of mine has a 17", but I'm not sure whether it's an alu or ti... but the monitor has loads of dead or dying pixels, most likely from opening and closing it the wrong way. To be honest, it seems rather... flimsy. The smaller ones don't.

I went to CompUSA and checked out all 3 sized Powerbooks the other day, and I must say that the 15" and the 12" were the only ones that I would consider. Anything over 15" on a notebook is overboard, in my opinion.

Now the 17" is the most powerful PB out there but to me it looks more like it's built to go from desk to desk and not very portable at all. Good luck with that sucker if you ever travel, try using that thing outside of 1st or business class on a plane and you're SOL.

If it were mine I'd purchase it BTO with 1 stick of 512MB and then order the other through Crucial.

Are you already in college? A lot of students have the impression that bringing a laptop to class is a common thing, and is something practical to do. I've found that that is simply not the case though, as even carrying a 12" laptop is a pain in the ass, and dangerous too.

It's not dangerous if you have a trusty little .40 as well :D, well except for maybe the other guy that thinks he's bad enough to swipe it.

Use the computer's security port and attach it to your belt or something. Then you can't accidentally forget the computer somewhere. ;)

But anything more than 12" is a pain to carry with you if you walk around a lot.

I meant more along the lines of dropping it. Loading and unloading your laptop twice for every class you have everyday, you're increasing the risk of an accident.

I would actually get a 12" powerbook and use the extra cash to get an external hard drive and maybe a second LCD. I like smaller laptops, simply because a laptop is supposed to be portable. If portibility is not an issue, you should be getting a desktop machine. Desktop replacements are just stupid IMHO.

If you're prone to dropping a laptop then you don't have any business getting anything outside of the Panasonic Toughbook series of laptops, those things are submersible too.

I can't imaging hauling the 15" to class... it is big by itself.

17" Is TOO big IMO.

I guess it is all relative because IMO the 15" isn't too big to haul around all the time, now if it was one of those PowerBricks, you guys know what I'm talking about, yes it's too big and bulky but that was then.

Put it simply get what feels right to you, there are 3 models if one isn't right keep looking.

i find that the 17" screen is flimsy, im affraid that it will break rather simply.

ok here is the thing..

I am asking the same question to myself (indulge w/ a 17' or practical 15") and I am wondering if the larger 17' screen would be more prone to dead pixles? and are people so against the 17 because it is just big and not easy to carry around? I personally wouldn't mind carrying around 17 inches of pure sexy goodness, but is there really anything wrong with the 17?

meh

None of the powerbooks are supremely durable, particularly the monitors. However they get worse with the bigger displays (the lid can flex more the bigger it is). The Al books are a teensy bit better built than the Tis though.

I'd say go with the 15, because its a little better built (but still not as good as an iBook) and because it weighs a lot less and will be a lot easier to carry. If you get the 17 you'll probably not be carrying it as much as you'd like after 6 months.

I thought I had posted this earlier but guess I forgot ;) since you have a friend that already has a 17" why not see if you can borrow it for a few days and get the feel of it?

Id go with the 15". to me, its the keyboard on the 17". it looks funky, like its too small.

although, i edit video all day long and 1280x1024 isn't enough for me. :(

Go with the 15". I have sold a few 15"s and 17"s at work, and when I go about installing the memory and set it up for the customers, I get a chance of actually holding it and carry it around the tech shop.

In my opinion, the 17" is a waste of money if you are going to be carrying it all over the place. The 17" is the lightest 17" notebook, if you were to look for a Desktop replacement then I highly recommend the 17". If you are using it for school, the 15" is perfect for you.

I myself am using a 12" Powerbook, and I am happy with it. It is perfect for my schooling because I walk for days between classes.

Alex

Back