Ordering i7 from newegg, quick question

pcgamer420

Limp Gawd
I'm about to order a i7 920 from newegg, but I'm worried about getting a c0 stepping instead of a d0. If I get unlucky and receive a c0, can I return it unopened for a replacement which will hopefully be d0 ?

Sorry if this question is dumb but I really don't want a CPU that I can't overclock past 3.3... Thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me

according to this: http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx#39

you can get a replacement within 30 days, not sure if they require an explanation though.

as for the stepping, the difference between a d0 and c0 in terms of overclocking is probably little to none, i dont think ive ever seen someone limited to 3.3ghz on a 920, its usually 3.8+

If you want a guaranteed D0 stepping, go with the W3520. But you can get that cheaper on eBay using Live/Bing Cashback.

as for the stepping, the difference between a d0 and c0 in terms of overclocking is probably little to none, i dont think ive ever seen someone limited to 3.3ghz on a 920, its usually 3.8+

A) This

B) I just got an 920 from Newegg the other day. Haven't loaded up CPU-Z yet, but it was packaged in May, so I have to think it's a D0.

I just ordered an i7 920 from newegg for my brother's new computer last week. I was hoping for a D0 but it was a C0. However, I currently have it stable at 4.1GHz on air so C0's are not that bad :D

I've got a D0 from what was supposed to be an excellent batch. I'll be honest with you it doesn't make OC'ing a snap. I'm finding that I am able to OC to 4.0GHz stable using about 1.3 volts Vcore, and with 12GB ram occupying all slots at DDR3 1600, but here's the catch. On air cooling with my case closed, I have to figure out how to get an enormous amount of heat out. With the case closed my temps hit 80C and with it open I'm still at 75C on my hottest core.

Long story short I bit into the hype of the D0 and although I don't have any C0 experience, I can say that this is by far the most challenging processor to cool in all of my time OC'ing.

I've got a D0 from what was supposed to be an excellent batch. I'll be honest with you it doesn't make OC'ing a snap. I'm finding that I am able to OC to 4.0GHz stable using about 1.3 volts Vcore, and with 12GB ram occupying all slots at DDR3 1600, but here's the catch. On air cooling with my case closed, I have to figure out how to get an enormous amount of heat out. With the case closed my temps hit 80C and with it open I'm still at 75C on my hottest core.

Long story short I bit into the hype of the D0 and although I don't have any C0 experience, I can say that this is by far the most challenging processor to cool in all of my time OC'ing.

I 2nd that. With my Q6600 all I had to do was raise the FSB until I hit 3.4ghz and I was done. With my i7 (D0) there are multiple factors and a crap load of heat. It's summer, and I'm in a building without A/C, and I can only get to 3ghz while maintaining reasonable heat levels. For some reason my i7 seems to idle hot (45-50c), but it doesn't go above 65c even under heavy load.

I'm sure I'm going to get someone that has a different experience than I do, however, with a decent air cooler and decent airflow, if you want 3.8+, you are looking @ the 80C+ range under heavy load(Prime, OCCT, Linpack). It's just the nature of the chips.

Richess, you may not feel comfortable going any higher than 65C, but I assure you, you can push these chips into the low 80s without much danger of thermal issues.

So, I guess what I am saying is, as Flex attests to, to get to 4.0 + on an i7, on air, you are looking @ 80C.

There was never any evidence that d0s overclock better than c0s anyway - in fact, the Intel PDF outlining the differences mentions nothing about voltage/heat/overclocking. What I think happened was that the first batch(es) of d0s just happened to be better than average and people assumed the reason they were better was because they were d0s.

I have a d0 because d0 retail was cheaper than c0 OEM at the time at OC UK. I dunno whether I would have bothered getting one if it was more expensive.

My D0 has also been tough to get to 3.8 GHz stable on air. I've had to bump Vcore up to 1.3v and QPI up to 1.355v. My temps idle around 45 ºC and 80 ºC load.

The D0 can definitely be a challenge!

C0 here...running fine @ 4.1ghz. I don't think the d0 is really guaranteed to be a big improvement beyond maybe needing less voltage to hit 3.8-4ghz... some d0's are great, but most of them match up pretty well with good o/c results from c0's.

All this is anecdotal, and I'll be adding to it, but my d0 gets 4.55 on water at about 77C load under Linpack.

However, I've got a friend with a c0 who hit 4.1 on the stock HSF who doesnt top 80C. It really seems that stepping is barely important with the i7 920. At least my small sample size agrees :)

the overclocking might be more the motherboard and/or ram than the stepping.

Either way, there is always chance you get a CPU that may or may not overclock well. It's a luck of the draw.

The heat from this proc. has me looking forward to replacing it with a 32nm one next year. hahahaha... Screwy thing is that I got the damn thing running about a week ago. hahaha... Damn that lust for more power! I was doing fine on my X3350 at 3.6GHz, and picked up the i920 out of curiosity.

Well, I got my DDR3 at stupid cheap prices, so I can't complain. Never had that much RAM in my life.

If you can put up with the "hotness" of the i7, it is pretty freakin' quick at 4.0GHz though.

You've been warned OP!!!

Thanks for all the great responses shedding some light on this issue fellas. I am now less worried about which of the versions I get as it seems there is little difference between the two. I went ahead and ordered the i7 with a Asus P6T deluxe v2 and 6gb ocz platinum 1600. Shipped out of the TN warehouse so hopefully it will be a d0 but if not no worries I guess. Got the Megahalems hs too so crossing my fingers for a high overclock...

This will go with my 2 gtx 260c216 cards, I'm pretty excited, can't wait to kick my video games' asses!!!:D

Thanks again for the help, this is a great forum and you guys sure know your sh*t!

Its risky man, and yes its been tested that D0 do overclock and run cooler then C0's, drive to a Microcenter they sell i7 920's for $230, no joke check their website.

Unfortunately there are no Microcenters even remotely close to where I live or I definitely would have gone that route. I have read that the NJ and TN newegg warehouses are only shipping d0 i7's now and my order was shipped out of Memphis so I'm hoping for the best. I'll report back if I get a c0.

Hey dude, I took the plunge last week. I ordered it from the Egg and it shipped from Memphis on Tuesday pm. It was here Friday pm when I got home from work, and it is a D0. I think you'll be OK.

I'm about to order a i7 920 from newegg, but I'm worried about getting a c0 stepping instead of a d0. If I get unlucky and receive a c0, can I return it unopened for a replacement which will hopefully be d0 ?

Sorry if this question is dumb but I really don't want a CPU that I can't overclock past 3.3... Thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me

This is not a valid reason for a return. If it runs correctly @ stock, that is what you are buying. If you want a guaranteed stepping, buy from a place that will guarantee you a D0.

Returning a perfectly working part, even unopened, costs the retailer money & passes higher costs on to other shoppers.

This is not a valid reason for a return. If it runs correctly @ stock, that is what you are buying. If you want a guaranteed stepping, buy from a place that will guarantee you a D0.

Returning a perfectly working part, even unopened, costs the retailer money & passes higher costs on to other shoppers.

Which is why they'd charge you a restocking fee.

So sure, you can return it for a replacement and pay 15% in hopes of getting a D0...

+1 to this.

Has the Xeon W3520 shown any better results in speeds or temps than the D0 stepping i7 920?

I don't know but mine runs HOT!!

I think I may need to reapply the thermal paste.

The good thing is that I can do 4GHz with little voltage (see sig). :)

Back