Ordering Grado SR-60i - What else?

illuminate

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm starting to get into audio, finally. I've always used basic earbuds and IEMS. 6-7 months ago I bought some Skullcandy, and even though they aren't audiophile material, they sounded much better than anything else I've ever heard. This has prompted me to pick up some Grado SR-60i headphones. I'm super excited for them.

I was wondering though what I should look into to accompany them. I have a Macbook Pro that I just got in May of this year. All of my music is 320 and FLAC. I don't have the money for a DAC right now, or anything like that, but what would be a good addition in the near future?

Seriously, no joke, look into getting a cheap FiiO E5 Amp. $20 well invested.

I'm not sure an E5 is needed, the SR60 is really easy to drive.

True, 32 Ohm, right?......not a bad thing to have per se though, if you ever buy a different can with a higher impedence. I got mine for free with the purchase of my headphones. Other than that you're pretty much set.....great pair of headphones btw for the price.

If you were happy with the skullcandy earbuds... you should just enjoy your Grados for a while before you think about buying anything else.

I think a USB DAC is the next step, though.

After a couple years the earpads crumble and turn into dust. Replacement pads are kinda pricey at $20.

Just because headphones have low impedance doesn't always mean they're easy to drive. While the SR-60s don't make use of an amp, a 32 ohm DT-770 will, although isn't as hard to drive as the higher impedance versions.

The MBP's headphone out is decent. I would suggest replacing the pads on the SR60s with HD414 pads. Some quick googling will tell you what the mod does to the sound other than making the headphones more comfy.

The MBP's headphone out is decent. I would suggest replacing the pads on the SR60s with HD414 pads. Some quick googling will tell you what the mod does to the sound other than making the headphones more comfy.

This

look into the 'blue sticky tack' upgrade as well.

I love my SR-60's:

headphones.jpg

As others have said -- just enjoy them for a bit. Make little upgrades.. and then shoot for a USB DAC.

I'll definitely look into some mods and stuff for them. I can't wait to get them. Super exicted

I've had my SR-60s for coming up on five years next xmas, very happy with them. Plenty of mods available. I have used them out of an ipod, as well as my work laptop's headphone jack. They're not too hard to drive.

This

look into the 'blue sticky tack' upgrade as well.

I love my SR-60's:

headphones.jpg

As others have said -- just enjoy them for a bit. Make little upgrades.. and then shoot for a USB DAC.

Nice, I'm too chicken to do the blue tack mod to my ATH-A900s =/

Back