• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ordering an LCD from US > UK?

Ravane

n00b
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
9
Hi all,

I'm looking to build a brand new system in December/January, and will be getting the 8800GTX with a 24" LCD. However, looking at prices in the USA, it's really annoying me that I'm having to literally pay twice the price over in the UK. As a result I was wondering if it was possible to order in the US and ship it to the UK for cheaper than I could buy it here, but at the same time I'm not sure if the inputs would be the same or what. If anyone has any experience with importing hardware, some advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
 
The inputs should be fine, my worry would be that shipping the parts (if they agree to do it) will be risky as they could get damaged during shipping. Then even if they do honor the waranty you will certainly have to pay to send the parts back and forth over the atlantic. Also when they get to you you'll have to pay tax on them. I'd advise that if you can't afford buying the parts in the UK then buy cheaper stuff than hideously overpriced graphics cards.

Don't forget those US prises are all without tax so it's not litterally twice the price, besides wages are lower over there so it's certainly not half the price for them. Also they have to do all their own taxes so give them some pity.
 
artmonkey said:
The inputs should be fine, my worry would be that shipping the parts (if they agree to do it) will be risky as they could get damaged during shipping. Then even if they do honor the waranty you will certainly have to pay to send the parts back and forth over the atlantic. Also when they get to you you'll have to pay tax on them. I'd advise that if you can't afford buying the parts in the UK then buy cheaper stuff than hideously overpriced graphics cards.

Don't forget those US prises are all without tax so it's not litterally twice the price, besides wages are lower over there so it's certainly not half the price for them. Also they have to do all their own taxes so give them some pity.

Thanks for the quick response!

The only reason why I'm being a bit reluctant to shell out if I can get it cheaper is because I'll be using mostly all my wages from my part-time job (I'm studying for my A-Levels at the same time, so I can't get a proper full-time job), and seeing as I only get paid £6 an hour at Game Store, chances are it'll take me 3 months to earn the £1500 or so that I need to build the whole thing. And that's not even garunteed because I'm only being allowed to work 9 hours a week instead of the 31 hours I'd originally planned (which would have gotten me about £700 a month), but hopefully this will change in December when shops start opening later.

So yeah. Right now I'm running on a 2.6Ghz Intel Celeron, 1.5gb unbranded RAM, 9600XT 128mb Radeon, 40gb HD, 15" LCD Monitor that won't switch on half the time... so this upgrade is a big thing for me, and I've been dying to do it for years. It's weird to think technology has advanced so much... when I got my 9600XT around three or so years ago, I was so chuffed, thinking I'd entered the realms of the hardcore. Boy was I wrong! But basically, chances are this new PC will have to last for a long while (I'll need to be saving up for a car and the £4k odd insurance us youngsters have to pay), so that's why I'm so set on getting the newest of the new hardware (within reason, I'm not about to spend on a Kentsfield or 30" LCD). Still, in 3 months time there'll probably be new cards, LCDs, CPUs and shiz for all we know, so I guess this is a bit premature... but hey, I need something to fantasize about until I can make this dream a reality!

I'll stop rambling now? :D

Thanks again.
 
I don't know if this will work or not but something to think about....if you know someone who will be visiting the US (or American visiting the UK) have them buy you a monitor and then bring it back to you. Again..I don't know the rules on this sort of thing but it sounds reasonable to me.
 
joemama said:
I don't know if this will work or not but something to think about....if you know someone who will be visiting the US (or American visiting the UK) have them buy you a monitor and then bring it back to you. Again..I don't know the rules on this sort of thing but it sounds reasonable to me.
That would have to be one saint of a person, willing to bring you back a 24" monitor from the US :p. I know LCD's are lighter than CRT's but they're not that light. It is a good point though, that probably would be your best option for safety / saving cash, while they're at it they can stuff a CPU in their pocket ;) .
 
artmonkey said:
That would have to be one saint of a person, willing to bring you back a 24" monitor from the US :p. I know LCD's are lighter than CRT's but they're not that light. It is a good point though, that probably would be your best option for safety / saving cash, while they're at it they can stuff a CPU in their pocket ;) .
I just know people who go to Hong kong and various other places and bring cheap electronic stuff back with either their carry-on or checked luggage. Of course it's usually smaller things like cell phones and such..
 
Back
Top