Ordered New Build (Intel e8400)

gr!m

Limp Gawd
Well I took the plunge and ordered my new parts from NewEgg tonight. Tell me what you all think.

Intel Core2Duo e8400
DFI Lanparty DK P35
4GB G.Skill DDR2-800 (4-4-4-12)
Xigmatek Rifle 120 CPU Cooler
Xigmatek 650 modular PSU

I also picked up a Radeon 4850 from Best Buy yesterday for $150.

As far as everything else goes, I already have a nice Kandalf case and everything else I may need.

I know some of you will say I'm taking a change using a new brand for a PSU but they are made by the same company that makes the Thermaltake PSU's and the reviews online have been pretty good. Makes me wish I didn't sell my old Hiper Type R though.

I will be posting pics and benchmarks when it arrives tomorrow/tues. I got next day shipping but it is Sunday after all.

Congrats, looks like a nice build!

I am considering an E8400 or quad and I have similar RAM to what you ordered.
Mine is Corsair XMS DDR2-800 (4-4-4-12). I had been concerned that this RAM might hold me back in overclocking, but obviously you think that it will work well.

What would be the limits, if any with DDR2-800 in overclocking an E8400 or a quad. In other words, at what point would you need DDR2-1000 or faster memory, if any? How much difference would faster memory make, if any?

Thanks.

i think if you could reach FSB of 533mhz then it would be able to keep the 1:1 ratio
i would just save money use fast 800mhz ram and run my fsb at 400mhz keeping the 1:1 ratio

i think if you could reach FSB of 533mhz then it would be able to keep the 1:1 ratio
i would just save money use fast 800mhz ram and run my fsb at 400mhz keeping the 1:1 ratio

OK, thanks.
With that in mind, using DDR2-800 would the Q6600 then be more desirable than an E8400 or a Q9450 since the multiplier is higher? And would the Q6700 be even more desirable using DDR2-800 since the multiplier is 10?

Yea I mean its kinda of a waste of money to get higher speed ram when your going to run it at 1:1 ratio @ 400mhz fsb

Unless you think you can get to a 533mhz fsb or want to run in a diffrent ratio and have your memory running at a higher speed. There really is no need for the higher speed above 800mhz right now

I am interested in the DFI board listed in the original post. Is there a reason, other than price not to choose one of the Lanparty X38 or X48 boards or even a newe P45 board? It appears that the SATA connectors are at 90 degrees to the motherboard, correct?

I plan to run a single video card, and don't care about on-board RAID, so some of the cost will be wasted, but no big deal. I have read that the DFI have endless overclocking tweaks which does concern me. I had considered the ABIT IP35 Pro or IP35 Pro XE, but ABIT does not seem to be on top of their aftermarket support, as with many mobo manufacturers.

I would like a board with max stability at max overclock on air, as I said, just for single video card, using one of the 4 CPU's I mentioned. I have been using an Intel D975XBX2 but it has been a bit of a pain.

Does not seem that I could justify anything beyond P35 for single video card use, although the P45 supposedly has a cooler running northbridge, which would be nice.

Recommendations, please?

Why didn't you get a P45 board? Hope you got a really good deal on the P35...

Even at one video card, the P45 is still a superior decision at it's current price point.

Why didn't you get a P45 board? Hope you got a really good deal on the P35...

Even at one video card, the P45 is still a superior decision at it's current price point.

Why do you believe that the P45 is a better choice?
And which P45 board? I am not convinced that Gigabyte is great, and having had a bunch of ASUS boards, I don't know that I am eager to go with another one, although they seem to be the obvious choice among P45's. If you do go with one of the P5Q, the obvious choice would be the top Deluxe model with the 16 phase power. Why would you want 8 phase or less in this case other than to save money?

The concern with grabbing any P45 is the small number of reviews of them anywhere, including newegg purchasers.

Newegg did not have a p45 DFI board and the x38 and x48 board were $100+ more. The one I got only put me down $120...

Intel Core2Duo e8400
DFI Lanparty DK P35
Xigmatek 650 modular PSU

I'm about to get:
Intel Core2Duo e8400
CORSAIR TWIN2X4096-6400C5
Antec 650 neopower
ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45

Also have the 4850 from BB. Still not sure if i should switch out the MB or memory. Now I will have to review your choices.

Well I took the plunge and ordered my new parts from NewEgg tonight. Tell me what you all think.

Intel Core2Duo e8400
DFI Lanparty DK P35
Xigmatek 650 modular PSU

As far as everything else goes, I already have a nice Kandalf case and everything else I may need.

I know some of you will say I'm taking a change using a new brand for a PSU but they are made by the same company that makes the Thermaltake PSU's and the reviews online have been pretty good. Makes me wish I didn't sell my old Hiper Type R though.

I will be posting pics and benchmarks when it arrives tomorrow/tues. I got next day shipping but it is Sunday after all.

Looks perfect to me.

Intel Core2Duo e8400
DFI Lanparty DK P35
Xigmatek 650 modular PSU

how did you get the new Radeon 4850 for $150?

i went with ddr2-1066. Isn't the G. Skill the same price as the 800?

I'm running my e8400 at 3.6Ghz. 400 FSB, with the memory divider at 4:3, allowing my ram to run at stock speed of 533.

with the memory divider at 4:3, allowing my ram to run at stock speed of 533.

You are sort of missing the point here. Running the RAM at 533 instead of 400 really gains you nothing. So grats on making the RAM have a bigger number, however you get almost 0 benefit of running the RAM higher than 1:1.

i went with ddr2-1066. Isn't the G. Skill the same price as the 800?

I'm running my e8400 at 3.6Ghz. 400 FSB, with the memory divider at 4:3, allowing my ram to run at stock speed of 533.

He's right. You don't really get any benefit by running ram faster than FSB.

Why don't you try to go for a little faster FSB / CPU clock. That would net you a real perform increase. 3.6Ghz is a gimme. Go for 3.8-4.0+ Ghz.

Back