Ordered an Inspiron 1720 yesterday...

dR.Jester

2[H]4U
and canceled but reordered after finding a better coupon. (8/27)

The reason why I canceled was due mostly in part to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5xwSJJPoVY

According to those who have already purchased the laptop, they are having this problem. It can also be heard through your headphones as well. This isn't really Dell's fault, it has to do with the Core 2 Duo and possibly even the chipset.

Plus, I would have really liked to see an HDMI out option on this laptop. If I'm going to include a Blu-Ray drive (not that I would), at least give me the damn HDMI out so I can enjoy a high definition movie on a big TV and not a 17inch or smaller LCD.

I haven't heard of any reports of that noise on the 1720s. 1520s yes.

I personally own 2 1720s which I ordered when they were first released. I have never had any issues with either of them. I have also sold several more and have never had an reports of any problems. It's your money though, if you think it's best spent elsewhere then that's up to you.

Ya I took more time to look into it more. It affects the 1500 series not the 1700.

EDD of my 1720 is on 9/10. Hope it gets here.

Guy that sits beside me has a 1720 with a core 2 duo and he has not mentioned any kind of noise problems with his. I have a 1705 and never heard the core 2 duo make any noise either.

I forgot all about this thread, lol.

I ended up re-ordering the 1720 with the 1920x1200 res. Found a $325 off coupon on Dealnews.

Hope the laptop arrives alright, this is my first laptop by the way.

Whats weird is when I just checked on it, my estimated ship date says: 1/1/0001

:D

good call on the glossy screen. i have it on my 1705 and i lurve it. the picture clarity is great. hope everything works out for you!

My Vostro 1500 is doing the same god damn thing. Im returning it for a refund. Going for a Lenovo.

good call on the glossy screen. i have it on my 1705 and i lurve it. the picture clarity is great. hope everything works out for you!

Yep I have the 1900x1200 glossy screen on mine and love it, awesome for watching dvds while away from home and such, not too bad for playing games other than the x1400 doesn't handle any gaming at native res. But for everything else its awesome.

yeah....i got the 7900gs when i bought mine and it runs CSS smooth as butter at native res.

Heres mine. Its currently in Boxing

Inspiron 1720, Intel T7300
Jet Black
2GB, DDR2
Hi Res, glossy 17" (1920 x 1200)
256MB GeForce 8600
160GIG HD
8X DVD+/-RW DL
Ordered 8/16
ESD:9/7
EDD:9/10

Edit: I will be adding a Second HD also, thanks for the link. I already received my Mem 2x2GB from newegg to throw in.

Just got updated!

Order Date: 8/25/07

Est. Ship Date: 9/12/2007
Est. Delivery Date: 9/17/2007-9/19/2007

Looks like the delay isn't that bad, I selected Black for my color. I didn't want to pay $50 for another color and a possible delay. :p

Good move.
I ordered mine on the 16th of Aug. Sent a letter to Mr Dell and mine was in boxing 2 days later. Not sure if the letter was the cause but something went right.

Just checked Order Status and apparently they are getting things back in order.

Shipping Method: 3-5 Business Days
Shipped Date: 8/29/2007
Est. Delivery Date: 9/3/2007-9/5/2007

how do their coupon promotions usually work? I'm hoping I could get a decked out Inspiron 1720 for ~$1100 that I put together with their coupons in July and August. Never got around to ordering it though.

I applied the coupon after building the system, shortly before pressing the order button.

That noise you are hearing I believe is some sleep states going on near the CPU socket that causes that high pitched noise. I think the noise happens because the CPU cannot get out of some specific "state". Try a test. If it sits idle and makes that noise, then it doesn't make that noise if you open a program or something else, than it is most likely because of that. I have a dell laptop, and they ALL make that noise. Some people are oblivious to it, but I've called Dell numerous times and I"ve looked online at possible reasons why it does that, but the answer always comes out the same.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=160814

This is what I'm talking about.

I applied the coupon after building the system, shortly before pressing the order button.

Oops, That isn't what I meant. My previous experience was that they have coupons at the launch but then the coupons / discounts don't come up anymore after the product is launched. I just hope I didn't miss the deal like I did with the e228 monitor.

Well I got my 1720 in today. So far I am liking it!!! :)

Still have yet to test any games on it but I'm sure it play some semi-old games fairly decent.

The 1920x1200 resolution will definitely take some time getting used to on this 17 inch screen. lol

I'll try and post some pics in the next couple of days.

Sorry for the late post. My 680i ended up frying my memory on my main rig a few days after getting the laptop in....

What the odds? lol

DSC03123.jpg

DSC03124.jpg

DSC03128.jpg

So far it has been performing flawlessly! The Black finish picks up fingerprints like hell but can easily be cleaned.

Now for some bad news. I just plugged in a pair of Creative earbuds and was able to pick up the high pitch noise on them. It was really faint but once you fire up some music, you can't hear it anymore. However its still there. Fortunately its not coming from the laptop itself. Otherwise it'd be going right back to Dell. So I'm keeping my hopes up for the best.

Been doing a lot of wardriving with it. Netstumbler doesn't work with Vista so I have to use another program but so far I have had a lot of fun. :)

Still going to install a second hard drive later on but right now I'm working on getting a stronger WiFi setup for it.

I just ordered mine today and probably get by the end of the week (I know people :) )

This is what my specs are:

c2d 1.66
2gb ram
160gb HD
glossy screen
web cam
8600gt 256mb
Bluetooth

All for $1300.00

:)

Now I need to part out my rig and pay for this thing! Anyone need any parts?

Guys,
What's a good place to find Dell coupons? Hoping to order mine within the week.
Thanks.

dR.Jester,

Is that a Surefire LED flashlight partially cropped out in the bottom of the last pic?

if so those are nice flashlights.

laptop looks great dr.Jester I just see a problem with the reflection off the screen. To me it would be a complete distraction. Do you regret glossy screen option?

Back