• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Oracle Database Logging + Backup

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
2FA
Joined
Apr 7, 2006
Messages
10,477
Not sure where to put this? Mods feel free to move.

I have a client and they are going to be implementing a new Oracle DB.

He wanted to know how Logging feature works and if they should do it, and backup solution.
They currently dont have a backup solution at the location where this is going, but I told him to look at TSM because it does block-level differential backups and would be faster than other solutions.

Now I dont usually deal with DB implementations so I dont know much about this but I told him I would look up some info and ask around to see if I could point him in the right direction.

Can ya help me out?

TIA
 
Oracle RMAN to a storage pool of your choice. Then, pick up the backup files and protect them as needed. Make sure the basics are in place - multiplexed online redo logs, reasonable archive log checkpoint interval, archivelog mode on and logs written to a safe storage pool and also, preferably, multiplexed.

Most "Oracle" agents these days amount to little more than front ends for RMAN anyway.

This is something the client should involve an Oracle DBA for.
 
Last edited:
Yep, use RMAN. Keep in mind that RMAN incremental backups are only supported in oracle enterprise, however.

And yes, the DB should be archive logging.
 
Back
Top