Oracle data in SQL database

roaf85

2[H]4U
Been out of the databasing loop since a year ago in college and even then I was better in C+ and network communication than SQL which was during my drinking years.

Anyways just had a client ask me to help him with a program he has been running. He wants to update it to allow Oracle data in an Microsoft SQL database without Oracle access. I did not know what he means only he said this over the phone.

The program he created in C+ was outsourced and he owns the code. The code seems ok, but the database constraints he has are fucked. While data is being populated to the database I was unable to actually restore the database when he paid me to do a back up the last time I helped him.

Thanks.

Been out of the databasing loop since a year ago in college and even then I was better in C+ and network communication than SQL which was during my drinking years.

Anyways just had a client ask me to help him with a program he has been running. He wants to update it to allow Oracle data in an Microsoft SQL database without Oracle access. I did not know what he means only he said this over the phone.

The program he created in C+ was outsourced and he owns the code. The code seems ok, but the database constraints he has are fucked. While data is being populated to the database I was unable to actually restore the database when he paid me to do a back up the last time I helped him.

Thanks.

Since everyone else here is going to ask these questions, I'll itemize them here so you can respond in one spot.

- What is C+? Is this a language that the original creator invented? If so do you have the compiler and linker for such a language? What type of language is it?
- What do you mean by "Oracle data"? Is the project named Oracle? Is the storage mechanism named Oracle? Is the data itself referring to "Oracles"?
- Are you familiar with the backup and restore procedures present in modern database management systems? What specific issues were there with the database restore process which led it to fail?
- You didn't ask a single question in your post. What specific questions do you have?

I think we'll start there and see what your responses are.

2.png

Maybe it's best to tell your client that you don't know how to help him. If you don't know how to do a backup, you're not really someone who should be messing around with a production system.

Glad to see lots of helpful people responded and yes I have backed up and restored production systems. While this might scare you if you bank with anyone other than Wells Fargo, Chase, USBANK etc chances are the information that led you to at least open the account was a database migrated by a company I used to work at.

I did not talk to the client much other than the question he asked was "can you put Oracle data in an Microsoft SQL database. I will be the first to admit in college I did not touch on Oracle much as every company I have worked for has used SQL databases.

I can not remember the specific error. In fact he paid me just for coming over and giving a consultation. He did not pay me as I do not have a known business at this time other than hardware fixes etc, but I am not DBA. This led me to ask a question here.

The error was when I went to browse his table. Something about relationships, which led me to consult him and ask him if he ever had the database crash. When he said no I told him I would be wary of restoring the database and it may have data loss or rebuilding the constraints.

Visual Studio is the language the program was created in and I did not look at the code much. No clue what the project is named other than it is not named Oracle and has nothing to do with Oracle. I think he just wants to accept Oracle data in the hopes that he can migrate a prospective customer into using his program.

Familiar with SQL backup. A monkey could restore a working SQL database.

...only if the monkey knows how to write lean code in the "Visual Studio" programming language.
I'm unsure of the point you're trying to make. Visual Studio is neither a programming language, nor a pre-requisite for database administration/management.

I'm unsure of the point you're trying to make. Visual Studio is neither a programming language, nor a pre-requisite for database administration/management.

Ok fuck this I am pretty sure it can not be done, but considering how I am not a DBA I figured someone out there was. A Visual C programming language basic forms that talk to a SQL database backend.

I wonder why he wants to merge the two data? Prospective clients he has? Needless to say I doubt you can just take Oracle database information and export it into a SQL database like that?

I wonder why he wants to merge the two data? Prospective clients he has? Needless to say I doubt you can just take Oracle database information and export it into a SQL database like that?
Definitely sounds like there's a lot more going on than you know... Might want to reconsider mikeblas's previous suggestion before you get too involved.

Ok fuck this I am pretty sure it can not be done, but considering how I am not a DBA I figured someone out there was. A Visual C programming language basic forms that talk to a SQL database backend.

Data is data. Any* data can be stored in and database management system - MySQL, MSSQL, Oracle, etc.

You just need an application that can connect to (and retrieve) data from one data source (Oracle), transform it as necessary and then conect to and store it to your SQL server.

*special data like binary data, unicode data, etc might have special considerations; I'll assume the data is ASCII

Data is data. Any* data can be stored in and database management system - MySQL, MSSQL, Oracle, etc.

You just need an application that can connect to (and retrieve) data from one data source (Oracle), transform it as necessary and then conect to and store it to your SQL server.

*special data like binary data, unicode data, etc might have special considerations; I'll assume the data is ASCII

Without having Oracle access can you do this? What would be the application I would need or would it have to be self designed?

(using these ODBC drivers) and then import it with SQL Server Management Studio.
Or SQL Server Integration Services, which is a totally awesome and kick-ass tool.
Without having Oracle access can you do this? What would be the application I would need or would it have to be self designed?
Indeed, you can't export data that you don't have access to. Does that answer your question?

Or SQL Server Integration Services, which is a totally awesome and kick-ass tool.
Indeed, you can't export data that you don't have access to. Does that answer your question?

Ok that is what I am getting at. Thanks Mikeblas

there is a lot involved in this depending on the source table structure, and the destination data structure. im sure the data requirements of the two applications are different, and are normalized differently, data fields are different etc.

if you can get .csv files of the oracle data, you can then write procedural code to break out the information for insertion into the sql database.

you are going to have to account for the primary and foreign keys in the oracle data. you will need to assign compatable keys(for the sql database) to the oracle data while keeping all of the foreign key constraints intact.

its not trivial, and requires a bit of experience doing such things.

Back