Opty 185 overclock question

dabiggoober

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 27, 2004
Messages
202
You can see my specs in my sig. The only change is that I recently bit the bullet and decided to grab an opteron 185 and 8800GTS in one last upgrade to hold me over for another 18 months before upgrading all my gear.

I used to overclock quite a bit but it was always by messing with ram timings and vcores and vdimm settings. I have never used memory dividers. I like my low latency ram and it doesn't overclock very well without significantly increasing the latencies.

So the question:

Can someone tell me how to set a ram divider to maximize the overclock on this opteron chip without losing too much memory bandwidth? Or point me to an old 939 overclocking thread. My understanding is that with my air cooling solution, I should be able to hit 2.8 without too much trouble and if I'm lucky, I might get 2.9-3.1

Any help would be much appreciated. I know a lot of you probably used to have my DFI board and tips would be great.

Thanks!
 
This is a great place to start your research. That information combined the AMD subforum should get you were you desire to be.

Good luck.
 
i hear the 185's dont overclock a whole lot.. ida gone witha opteron165 and set it to 2.8ghz so far have 3 set at close to 2.8ghz

i set ht to 3 fsb to 300 and ram to 150mhz all the timmings stay the same and ram is barely overclocked.
 
Back
Top