Opty 170, overclocking and SATA ports

Sovereign

2[H]4U
I have heard that a problem one might run into during overclocking is data corruption from SATA ports that float around instead of being locked. I have a K8N Diamond Plus. Now that I have recovered from my Raptor woes, I am looking to overclock once again. Any insight on this? Is this even a problem with my board?

I too am curious about the cause of corruption on SATA drives - how exactly can you tell which ports and drives are floating around? I read that usually ports 1 and 2 are locked, while 3 and 4 may float?

probably should "consult the manufacturer" as they say. ive heard ports 3 and 4 are locked but it most likely depends on who made your board.

it's 3 and 4 that remain locked, when this is an issue at all. it's really hit and miss if you get slapped with this or not.

me, i just put my drives on ports 3 and 4 from the get-go and i don't even know if my board has problems or not.

i'll note that on my previous gen system, i used a two port raid-capable SATA card for my raptors and it worked like a charm, for like $30 CDN. if you're really worried, then as long as your PCI lock works properly a seperate card and disabling the onboard is a good option.

just as an aside.......i feel that a BIOS saviour is a cheap and often overlooked safeguard while overclocking. a flip of the switch deals with most any "oops, i went too far" overclocking problems.........including a corrupted bios.

I have three HDDs though....and it was the Raptor that was crying. So I'll make sure it's on port 3 or 4.

Back