Optimum

1st Sgt. Burke

Limp Gawd
Im curious as to the optimum refresh rate for my Monitor. I have a dell 17" CRT. It has a selectable refresh rate of:

60 Hertz
70 Hertz
72 Hertz
75 Hertz
85 Hertz
and 100 hertz.

I tried doing a search but nothing, title wise, came up...So, what is the optimum setting, and how will affect gaming/ my eyes? I tend to game in the dark alot....

Whatever the highest you can get that doesn't stress the monitor out. What resolution?

My Mom has a 17" Dell Trinitron and it seems to handle 100hz at 1024x768 quite nicely.

The higher the Hz, the better it is. Now you need to find a good ratio of size/speed. Some people can't handle 60Hz, some people can.

EGGO said:
The higher the Hz, the better it is. Now you need to find a good ratio of size/speed. Some people can't handle 60Hz, some people can.

60Hz makes my eyes hurt, so I use 85Hz. That bugs my eyes too, but even 100Hz looks the same to me

In monitors based on CRT technology, the refresh rate is the number of times that the image on the display is drawn each second. If your CRT monitor has a refresh rate of 72 Hertz (Hz), then it cycles through all the pixels from top to bottom 72 times a second. Refresh rates are very important because they control flicker, and you want the refresh rate as high as possible. Too few cycles per second and you will notice a flickering, which can lead to headaches and eye strain.

Televisions have a lower refresh rate than most computer monitors. To help adjust for the lower rate, they use a method called interlacing. This means that the electron gun in the television's CRT will scan through all the odd rows from top to bottom, then start again with the even rows. The phosphors hold the light long enough that your eyes are tricked into thinking that all the lines are being drawn together.

Because your monitor's refresh rate depends on the number of rows it has to scan, it limits the maximum possible resolution. A lot of monitors support multiple refresh rates, usually dependent on the resolution you have chosen. Keep in mind that there is a tradeoff between flicker and resolution, and then pick what works best for you.

Back