Optimum Online...Cable Modem Connection's..

freeikon

n00b
Quick question, there really a noticeable speed difference when connecting a Cable Modem through the USB then a NIC card?

depending on what you are doing. for gaming id use ethernet and never look back :D
i myself havent tried the USB connection but it most likely wont be as fast as ethernet nor have the amount of bandwidth.

I couldn't imagine a USB connection giving you even a third of the speed your connection is capable of. Seriously, go for a NIC. If you want to spend a little more money and have a home network set up, go for a gigabit NIC and a basic gigabit switch. The gigabit NIC will use far less CPU than a fast ethernet card and exponentially less than USB.

[brag]Since I switched to a Motorola 5100 and a Dell 5324 I've been getting 1200kB sustained. Before that I was using an ancient 3com from 1999 and I was topping at 900kB and only around 500-700 sustained. Big difference. I don't think the switch is contributing to the actual speed but the caching it does makes the sites I visit load instantly. Fucking sweet.[/brag]

I'm sure other people can get faster than that but it is faster than I'm used to and faster than their advertised speed so I'm not complaining.

As long as the USB connection is USB 2.0 you won't gain any bandwidth by using an ethernet NIC. Now the latency might be another story.

I have a feeling that if there isn't an onboard NIC there isn't USB 2.0. But yeah, you're probably right.

Back