Optimizing XP Pro

Ghettobox

Limp Gawd
I am building a "new" computer. A dually P3..and am considering running XP pro on it. Question. Is there a way to edit what is in wondows during install. I dont want alot of stuff that XP comes with..like the crap firewall, Media Player, etc. I did a google search and more or less found nothing but info on Pirated copies..which doesnt interest me. I found a program called Nlite, and thought I might give that a try. Now lets say I bought a legal copy of XP pro, would I be able to legally edit out stuff I dont want? Or would that be an infraction of the EULA?

Ghettobox

Ghettobox said:
I am building a "new" computer. A dually P3..and am considering running XP pro on it. Question. Is there a way to edit what is in wondows during install. I dont want alot of stuff that XP comes with..like the crap firewall, Media Player, etc. I did a google search and more or less found nothing but info on Pirated copies..which doesnt interest me. I found a program called Nlite, and thought I might give that a try. Now lets say I bought a legal copy of XP pro, would I be able to legally edit out stuff I dont want? Or would that be an infraction of the EULA?

Ghettobox

i dont know about during the install, but after you can go into the add remove programs and unistall a bunch of stuff installed.

Ghettobox said:

Ghettobox
Just use nLite to get rid of what you don't want. Pay attention to the warning boxes when you're selecting stuff to remove.

You could also have an answer file dropped onto a floppy or winnt.sif in the i386 directory to remove some stuff, but all of that can be done with nLite.

yeah Nlite is the way to go for this, just follow all the instructions like the previous poster said.

Is it legal though? Not that I am terribly afraid of MS finding out I killed a bunch of stuff I find useless. But I would like to get updates, patches etc down the road. I run a pretty tight box, but that said SP's do come out. And can on esafely remove IE? I am not a big fan of it to begin with...and would just as soon run opera..but can one sefly remove it..adn still use the system? IE...what would one use for a file browser? Sorry to be a pain.

Ghettobox

Ghettobox said:
Is it legal though? Not that I am terribly afraid of MS finding out I killed a bunch of stuff I find useless. But I would like to get updates, patches etc down the road. I run a pretty tight box, but that said SP's do come out. And can on esafely remove IE? I am not a big fan of it to begin with...and would just as soon run opera..but can one sefly remove it..adn still use the system? IE...what would one use for a file browser? Sorry to be a pain.

Ghettobox

im guessing that you have a legal copy of XP to start with then

thats not a problem at all alot sys admins trim the fat off XP to get to run better on workstations

Elios said:
im guessing that you have a legal copy of XP to start with then

thats not a problem at all alot sys admins trim the fat off XP to get to run better on workstations
Sidestepping a bit here but yeah. I trim down a few services on the machines I manage simply because they're not needed. Anything that chews up memory on a 128MB machine isn't that big of a deal but I don't even want it paged out.

That said, adding more memory is the best thing one can do for a quick upgrade...provided that you're not all ready at 1GB and taxing the crap out of that.

feigned said:
Sidestepping a bit here but yeah. I trim down a few services on the machines I manage simply because they're not needed. Anything that chews up memory on a 128MB machine isn't that big of a deal but I don't even want it paged out.

That said, adding more memory is the best thing one can do for a quick upgrade...provided that you're not all ready at 1GB and taxing the crap out of that.

i know this im just saying to the poster that turning stuff off in windows on install is comman and legal

nLite is legal and kosher.

However, do consider this. When things go wrong, and they will, do you want to be fixing an install that's "not like anyone else's" or "normal"?

I'll tell you one thing, I find lots of happiness in being "normal" in these cases. ;)

Good luck.

I'm not telling you not to use Nlite, but I've seen quite a few people, other than myself, have weird issues when using an Nlite disc. It is perfectlylegal though, so there's no harm in trying it out.

djnes said:
I'm not telling you not to use Nlite, but I've seen quite a few people, other than myself, have weird issues when using an Nlite disc. It is perfectlylegal though, so there's no harm in trying it out.
I can second that. There were some weird issues with my nLite install, but "all-in-all" it was pretty much ok.

Back