• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

optimizing winxp/Vista home network

freakyhair

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 22, 2002
Messages
475
Hi all,

To start, is there a good guide that you know of to sharing files between a windows XP machine and a vista machine?

I have a desktop PC which has all my movies and music wired to a WRT54G router. I have a Dell XPS laptop running Vista connected via wireless to the same router.

When I try to watch a movie (~1-2 GB divx or x264) on my laptop over the network, it pretty much isn't possible (tried VLC, media player). I've even tried copying the file over, then watching it, but it sits there in Vista 'calculating' the time to copy it over for what seems like forever (30+ minutes?)

I've also tried hooking up the vista laptop to the router via cat5E, and it's still slow for large files.

Is there something I can try? Sorry if this is something dumb, I've tried google, and just thought someone knew a trick or two.

Thanks!
 
Back
Top